mybackyardhobbyfarm

Songster
8 Years
Dec 18, 2014
B.C. Canada
Hi there , I am currently building a bantam Mini coop, which I’m designing for about 2 bantam hens and a bantam rooster . I know they need 2sq feet per bird as they are only gonna be locked up in the coop at night.
My questions are:
>How big/small should bantam nest boxes be? (I know they will lay in regular size boxes but this Mini coop and nest boxes are strictly meant for bantams so I don’t need regular size boxes as I’m building it as compact as I can as it’s a mini coop ...)
>What height would the nest boxes be at ideally ?
>What height should the roost be at for bantams ?
Thanks

Last edited:
I would make it slightly bigger than needed for your 3 birds. You never know when one will decide to start a family :D

Nest boxes. You really could only have just 1 since you have 2 hens. I’d say just do one normal size nest box for them. Speaking of saving space could you do a internal box? Instead of a bulky outer box?

Roost. Not sure how tall your coop is but mine like to roost as high as possible. Just make sure they have enough head room and landing space.

depends on what breed of bantams for the roosts... generally they can get up pretty high. my seramas and oegbs roost with the big birds just fine they get up there and everything. so I would say 2-2.5 feet high. but as suggested above head and landing space is all that really matters for hight.

as of nesting boxes...mine use the big birds boxes just fine so I guess you could trim it down to a smaller size if you wanted.

my nesting boxes are all on the ground of the coop not raised but what ever works for the style of your coop that your building will work. i would do one nesting box possibly two incase one goes broody and the other is still laying.

build it slightly bigger then what your planning on i stared out with one serama and now have 6 :rolleyes:...

Thankyou! I’m gonna make it so that it’s easy to add on to but for now it will be designed for 3 birds.
And I plan to do two nest boxes in case one of them goes broody or I expand the coop.

It’s a hip roof barn style coop with highest point being approximately 4ft in height. I’m gonna put the roost at about 2ft I’m thinking( can always adjust this later).
Again, thanks for the tips.

A4A82D6E-F04A-45DB-A885-817344D96471.jpeg
So this is my progress on my Mini coop. I’m thinking about putting the nest box up high near the roost(s). Are the bantam Cochins going to be able to get up there to lay ? Are they going to want to lay up there or is it better to put nest boxes lower ? Thier wings will not be clipped.

With only 2 chickens you do not need a nesting box at all. Just make a nest area in a corner of coop where convenient. Try it and see how my idea works. I do not have a nesting box for my hens (6) Just an area of coop where I have a nest made of hay. It is open. Hens use it and I have not heard any complaints. :gig If you really want a nesting box, I suggest making it removable just in case you change your mind on location.
WISHING YOU BEST..... :thumbsup

I just looked at your picture. My opinion is,,,,,, that area where you have them, should be a vent area way up high. There should also be same vent on the near/opposite gable as well. Your roost 2 feet of the floor is OK. Consider making roost adjustable in height. It does not need to be high. Trial an See is best way to determine Ideal Height.

Just make a nest area in a corner of coop where convenient. Try it and see how my idea works. I do not have a nesting box for my hens (6) Just an area of coop where I have a nest made of hay. It is open.
If you really want a nesting box, I suggest making it removable just in case you change your mind
WISHING YOU BEST..... :thumbsup
Thanks for your input, the nest box I made is a drawer/ pull out so it is totally removable and I haven’t made anything permanent yet as you can see from the pic. I will definitely consider that, and maybe just put a basket in the corner for them to lay in.
The floor of the hutch is also a pullout drawer for easy cleaning.

I just looked at your picture. My opinion is,,,,,, that area where you have them, should be a vent area way up high. There should also be same vent on the near/opposite gable as well. Your roost 2 feet of the floor is OK. Consider making roost adjustable in height. It does not need to be high. Trial an See is best way to determine Ideal Height.

There is still room for a vent/gable on the nest box side, and of course I plan to put one on the other side as well. Also the coop will have 2-3foot legs so if necessary I can put a window or vents on the side(s).

View attachment 1236733
So this is my progress on my Mini coop. I’m thinking about putting the nest box up high near the roost(s). Are the bantam Cochins going to be able to get up there to lay ? Are they going to want to lay up there or is it better to put nest boxes lower ? Thier wings will not be clipped.
Don’t put the nest boxes up high as the chickens will sleep in them and poop during the night.

Back
Top Bottom