AndersonFamillyFarm

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2018
I used to sell bantam speckled Sussex’s a few years back I’m now back into selling bss and I’m wondering how much I should charge for them! I used to sell hatching eggs for 10 a piece is that to much or not enough? Also how much should I charge for chicks started pullets etc? I would love any info on how much they are worth thanks in advance!

I paid $15 for my standard SS two years ago, in NC. She was about 8 weeks old, turned in to one of my favorite hens.
To get a bantam version of her? Me myself, I would easily pay $25 for a started pullet. I may be crazy.
Food for thought.

Well for any breed of chicken 20-25$ is a fair price for a laying hen. If I was selling a BSS egg for 10$ and the hatch rate for BSS is not the best I would say for a day old chick 15-20 sounds fair what do you think?

I'm going to preface this again with "in my opinion"!
It could work, or you could be crazy, just depends on your market. I think NPIP and AI status are things to take in to account if you want to do this outside of your city? Also look at your time of year.
The novelty of a BSS could be worth that for a day old chick, but they are so fragile! I'm currently working with my first shipped day old chicks, and they're killing me! I'd be hella pissed if I spent that on a day old and she died.
You definitely need more sources of info, my friend. I'm following this thread, for sure! :)

I'm going to preface this again with "in my opinion"!
It could work, or you could be crazy, just depends on your market. I think NPIP and AI status are things to take in to account if you want to do this outside of your city? Also look at your time of year.
The novelty of a BSS could be worth that for a day old chick, but they are so fragile! I'm currently working with my first shipped day old chicks, and they're killing me! I'd be hella pissed if I spent that on a day old and she died.
You definitely need more sources of info, my friend. I'm following this thread, for sure! :)

You have a lot of valid points! The reason I posted here is because literally no one has this breed and I cannot find any info about how much I should charge! When I bought them a few years back I got 4 started for probably around 100$ it’s just so hard to figure out how much to charge for them!

where are you located? are you in CA? i contacted someone i think in mendocino county re BSS and never heard back from them. i know they are rare but with hatch rate poor i would not prob spend that much. unless i could pick them up perhaps. also same for day olds shipped. picking up, yes i would. i have don't a lot of hatching from eggs on eBay. i have had good results but very careful about how far they have to come. and time of year. i won't buy bantam day olds by shipment. that is why i resorted to hatching. just so fragile.

If you include shipping in the price it might be reasonable, with each additional egg being less in cost. Did the people that bought from you on eBay have good hatch rates? Maybe you can try to sell locally first so they will have better hatch rates.

Back
Top Bottom