Bantam Wyandottes vs. Orpingtons

Honora

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Cavan, Ireland
Hi there,

We are trying to decide between bantam Wyandottes & Orpingtons for my son's 4-H project. I love Wyandottes; I think they are the most beautiful chicken around. My son wants bantam Orpingtons because he thinks they will be more friendly.

Any comments on the friendliness of these two breeds? (Someone tell me how friendly the Dottes are so I can get my son on my side, lol). :)

Justine

Well, since it's your son's project I'd give his vote more weight
wink.png
Also, my experience is that Orpingtons are more friendly than Wyandottes as a general rule. Are you limited on the number of birds you can have and that is why it has to be one or the other - or could you not have him get his project birds and you get the birds you want?

I have both Wyandottes and Orpingtons (still have Orpingtons) and they are both great birds. Based on my experience (about 50 years worth), I say your son is right. My Wyandottes have usually been docile (although occasionally I had an aggressive one; definitely the exception, not the rule), but I've never had an aggressive Orpington. My children, and now my granddaughter, both made lap pets out of our Orpingtons (not so much with our Wyandottes). I agree with your that Wyandottes are gorgeous, but for being handled by children, very few breeds can match Orpingtons.

Thanks, we will be getting the bantam Orpingtons. We are only allowed to have 6 chickens where we live, so I will just wait to get my lovely Wyandottes sometime in the future.

Thanks, we will be getting the bantam Orpingtons. We are only allowed to have 6 chickens where we live, so I will just wait to get my lovely Wyandottes sometime in the future.

You're welcome. I think you (and your son) will be very happy with the Orpingtons.

Back
Top Bottom