Barn Cats and Chickens

Thunder344

Crowing
Sep 12, 2020
Stafford, Virginia
Hi!
I want to get some barn cats, but I am worried that they will attack my chickens. I keep finding mice in my metal trash cans that I keep the feed in. Does anybody have any experience with cats and chickens? Is their a way for me to teach the cats not to go near the chickens? Any suggestions, etc. is greatly appreciated.
Also, could I just get a spayed/neutered cat from the SPCA and it be a barn cat?

Last edited:
I don't know about cats and chickens, but I think that shelters usually require you to sign a contract that the cat will be an indoor-only pet.
Our barn cat is about four years old, he was rescued from a shelter. At first they would not allow us to save him (death sentence in 24 hours) apparently because it was more humane to kill him then to make him live with chickens. The manager allowed us to take him. He has lived in the chicken coop and garden ever since. He plays with young and old and occasionally rubs against the rooster knocking him over. He sleeps in the nesting boxes, sometimes on eggs. His fenced in garden is about 7800 square feet with the coop and runs 1/4 of that. They are great friends.

Cats tend to eat what they are taught as kittens is food and not eat what they didn't learn to eat as kittens. If their mothers were mousers, they tend to be mousers. If not, then not. If their mothers were birders, they tend to be birders, if not, then not. This is why my gradndmother's cat wouldn't eat tuna. Why a lot of people on the raw feeders group have so much trouble getting their cats to eat any kind of raw meat.

And it might contribute to why some cats don't hunt the chickens they live with. And some do.

They usually react to small squeaky and/or jerky things out of instinct and can learn to play with these things, sometimes fairly effectively when they are in the mood. So, they might do the job you want anyway.

Because of this, and (mostly) because I like native song birds, I would go the route of fixing the feed storage problem and fixing the shelter for resting and for moving around that the rodents are finding.

Hi!
I want to get some barn cats, but I am worried that they will attack my chickens. I keep finding mice in my metal trash cans that I keep the feed in. Does anybody have any experience with cats and chickens? Is their a way for me to teach the cats not to go near the chickens? Any suggestions, etc. is greatly appreciated.
Also, could I just get a spayed/neutered cat from the SPCA and it be a barn cat?

Back
Top Bottom