Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Pics
Quote:
I'm not one to criticize other folks birds but since you asked and someone else made a relevent comment, I will say that you are correct. The second hen's chest is much too red and my guess is that is an good example of the offspring from a Barnie/Wellie cross. The breast on that birds looks very similar to a Welsummer hen's.

God Bless,

Quote:
I'm not one to criticize other folks birds but since you asked and someone else made a relevent comment, I will say that you are correct. The second hen's chest is much too red and my guess is that is an good example of the offspring from a Barnie/Wellie cross. The breast on that birds looks very similar to a Welsummer hen's.

God Bless,

For the barnevelder experts: Are barnevelder chicks slow to feather or might I have a couple of males. I have 24 chicks (8 different breeds and supposed to be all females) and the 2 barnevelder chicks are much slower in feather development than the rest (4 weeks old now). Have you noticed your baby barnies feathering in slower than other breeds?

Other breeds are SS, Welsummers, Polish, Marans, Blue Andalusians, Partridge Rocks and EE

HI all.
I am thinking of purchasing an established flock of barnevelders (origiinally purchased from Johan?) and know nothing about them ;-) i am more of a Marans person.. they are gorgeous birds and am very interested in them.. but it is VERY hard to find info on them.. look forward to learning all i can from you folks..
Denna

Quote:
the second hen, or the bird in the second 2 pictures, doesn't have a very consistent double laced pattern...actually the pattern starts double laced around the hackles then looks like it bleeds into almost a chipmunk pattern...I would agree with previous posters that she looks to be crossed with another breed, possibly welsummer or penedesenca, somewhere along the line. That doesn't mean that they won't lay really nice eggs...

Quote:
I love her(s)....and him....maybe I will be sending you a (((PM))) about some chicks come next spring........sorry about the delay in posting....

I just wanted to introduce two new cockerels I just got from a very generous fellow Barnevelder enthusiast in New York. They are 9 weeks old and a cross between Johan and Christina Ledford's vB line. I just love the top line of the first cockerel
big_smile.png
They handled their trip from New York to California very well
smile.png

Cockerel #1
30473_cockerel_1.jpg

Cockerel #2 (#1's behind him)
30473_cockerel_2_and_1.jpg

And a little eye candy for those of you dreaming of Blue laced Barnevelders...2 of my F1 Barnevelder blue laced cross pullets.

30473_blue_laced_pullets_2.jpg

Last edited:
big_smile.png
They are the ones I was waiting for. They left New York at around 11am (EasternST) and got to the PO here in CA at 3:30pm (Pacific ST) the next day. I'm glad their trip wasn't too long. Both still have alot of growing to do, but I like them already. I wanted to add some Johan blood. They are only half Johan, but are already showing two traits I'm looking for. The sweeping tail set that the Johans have and bright yellow legs
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom