Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Yes, his wing carriage is low.  I am holding onto 5 cockerels right now.  They are all 6 months old.  I want them to fill in before I pick the best 2.  I have a couple that have higher wing carriages, but they have other issues.

From what I've seen in Barnevelders, no tail fluff is a HUGE improvement, as is the width.  I have some really nice hens with high, tight wing carriages, so even if I need to use a boy with a lower wing carriage, I'll hopefully be able to improve it in future generations.

I would definitely use him in the breeding program, but in a stud mating situation with a hen with good wing carriage I would also mate that hen to one of the other cockerels so that you have a way of evaluating the impact of the wing carriage.  Your impressive strides in your breeding program should be an example to all fanciers of the Barnevelders.  Good luck.
Bjorn

I think I have a brother maybe even a full brother to happy chooks cockerel. They came from the same mating, but my cockerel is younger.

Not the greatest pic, but it was raining this morning. I like the width on both of our cockerels. They look like they will have good tails , back lines and no tail fluff. Mine is showing good bone and size. I think happy chooks is too, but its hard to tell from pics. You can just see a dark blue cockerel off to the right. He has good type and the best pattern I have seen so far, but is smaller. He is the size I used to get before I started selecting harder for size.

Another cockerel. Good type on this one too.

Trisha

Not my work on these Barnies, I got him and the other cockerels from Trisha. She has been doing an amazing job with them. I'm just trying to get a good flock going for breeding.

Trisha - I like your male's back line.

LOL. I thought you WERE Trishia. I I KNOW she has done a tremendous job and deserves all the praise and encouragement in the world. Not very good at keeping track of who's who. Anyway, my statements still stand. (It's not easy when one is getting old and forgetful... I apologize.)
Bjorn

Here are a couple of my project pullets from this year
They are both 7/8 Barnevelder from a cross with Blue Plymouth Rocks

This pullet is Blue Double Laced

This second is a Silver Blue Double Laced pullet.
She has a much more red showing through than my silver project birds.

Also the blue gene has broken the ground color into a more complex pattern that reminds
me of turkey feathers. You can see the silver in her hackles.

u

This third photo is both of them together on their favorite roost, Blue on left and
Silver blue on right. I think the bird on the left has a much nicer type
and a better tail.

Andy

Mountain View Orchards

Andy, I think those are nice birds, and if you have a brown/black double laced cockbird with superior lacing (or whose mother had it) to go with them, you should be able to produce some good ones. Do you have any splash laced pullets as well? Those could also come in handy. I like the backline of the two pullets, as well as the nicely spread tail (although the SOP only states "full") which some breeders, unlike me, may not like. I also wonder what kind of eggs you might get from these (size, shape, color). Thank you for sharing.
Bjorn

Here is one of my silver double laced Barnevelder Pullets
younger than the two in the previous post. She is about 16 to 18 weeks
There is some red leakage especially in the wing and tail, but not as much
as in the Silver Blue pullet.

Andy

Thanks Bjorn

They will be bred with my best laced rooster this winter. I like the full tail myself.

The eggs were a big surprise to me. These girls both lay plum colored eggs like what I have seen in pictures for Croad Langshan. It is just a suface feature of the egg, perhaps some micro roughness, because when wet they look like Barnevelder eggs. It reminds me of river stones that are light colored when dry and deeply colored when wet. I will post picture of this when I get a chance. The eggs are only medium sized but they are good layers. Also very calm temperament and friendly. I did not see this trait in any of the adults and it just popped out this fall.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom