Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Happy chooks here is a pic that shows good color on a cockerel here in my barn. Thanks everyone for the compliments, I am glad to see people recognize good birds, no matter what breed it is. The Barnevelder is not the easiest breed to work with and from what I have seen hatheries put out as "Barnevelders" is a shame almost to the breed. You have to see the real ones in order to appreciate them. It is not a coincidence that ghey are amongst ghe most kept and famous breeds in both Holland and Germany. Two countries that are also very well know for their poultry fancy. Its very cold here now and we got a major snowdump. I plow snow in the winter for a livin, so I put my 80 hr workweek this week day and night. Once this is over Inhave more time and will read more in this thread. Thrish I seen a pic of two hens, one you want to cull. I would like to give you my opinion on both hens once I get a closer look. Piet

over 15 yrs now happy chooks. I Immigrated to Canada from Holland 10 yrs ago. I am 33 yrs old.

Wow,
bow.gif

It took me a while to know I had a chicken addiction. (41 here) Actually, getting chickens was the DH's decisions for food self reliance. My comment was I'm NEVER having a rooster. Well, that went out the window, and chickens quickly became my hobby. I come from an EXTREMELY non-farming family - I was raised in a small town, but we never had anything more farm oriented than a back yard garden. I am and have been the laugh of my family. Only my relatives in Australia are farmers, and they think it's fantastic what I'm doing now.

Wow, :bow

It took me a while to know I had a chicken addiction. (41 here)  Actually, getting chickens was the DH's decisions for food self reliance.  My comment was I'm NEVER having a rooster.  Well, that went out the window, and chickens quickly became my hobby.  I come from an EXTREMELY non-farming family - I was raised in a small town, but we never had anything more farm oriented than a back yard garden.  I am and have been the laugh of my family.  Only my relatives in Australia are farmers, and they think it's fantastic what I'm doing now.
i was a keeper/ fancier for many years and really only the last 8 yrs was able to start breeding the numbers needed to sustain a good flock. I am a horseman by trade, showjumping and that is how I got landed into North America. I also raise rabbits (Flemish Giants) and they take up a lot of my spare time also. Piet

Horses too? Now I'm really jealous. I've always wanted a horse, but where I live in CA, there isn't much for pasture, so horses cost a lot.
Where are you in northern California? I am from Sant Rosa and can't to get back to northern California. I wish the housing market would improve enough from me to sell my house.

Back
Top Bottom