Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Pics
had 2 eggs hatch from Paul's Poultry in CA. Going by other posts about Barnie chicks, those like the front chick with a defined "V" indicates some crossing of Welsummers in the lineage? The chick in the back is more reddish but lacks the V. I feather sexed them at a couple days and both had differing feather lengths. (the way I remember feather sexing, the humps are "P" for pullet"
smile.png

17059_dsc05074.jpg

Hey Everyone!

I have not read through the whole thread yet, but I have a couple Barnevelders (and eggs in the incubators). I really like the breed. It just seems like they need a lot of work in the US (as I'm sure everyone knows). I haven't kept them long enough that I feel I can comment much on them. One thing that is disappointing to me so far is the egg color. I have gotten eggs from a couple of different breeders and the color has been very light and pretty inconsistent. They have ranged from light brown to a lighter medium brown, no where even remotely near even as dark as a Welsummer. I have several run of the mill brown egg layers that lay darker eggs. Moving forward with Barnevelders, I really hope egg color improves, but that is only one aspect that drew me to the birds in the first place.
smile.png

Well, I am pretty disappointed. My chicks are 3 weeks old and I'm pretty darn sure that they aren't pure Barnies. I saw some photos of 3 week old with the black lacing already developing and mine are still brown. I think I got me some Wellie crosses. very bummed out cause my "mystery pullet" developed a pea comb too! So instead of a Barnie cross pullet and 2 Barnie chicks I have a Dark Cornish and what I think are 2 wellie mutts.

But I guess I deserve that considering the fellow I got them from told me he wasn't sure what the mystery pullet was and he got the eggs as replacements for the Minorca eggs he was supposed to get. Next time I'm getting my eggs from a Barnie breeder.

Hubby is going to like it now that he's allowed to cull a couple of chickens I guess. I was really hoping my 2 chicks were Barnies cause it looks like I have a pair!

Quote:
I hate to say it but that pretty sorrel color on the back one looks Wellie to me.

baby Wellies from eggs from Julie Gabbard (boy, girl, girl)
39089_partrpenes3whicharethey.jpg

baby barnie cockerel 'Jack' (whiter chest, brown non-laced 'shoulders', & I forgot the wing feather difference) From Johan/vB/KC cross
39089_2010barniewing.jpg
39089_2010barnieprofile3wks.jpg

Does anyone have Johan's line? If you have them did you buy them directly from him? What can one expect from this line and eggs? Thanks.

Quote:
Purchased hatching eggs directly from Johan. The eggs were a beautiful coppery color. Birds are very sweet and docile IMO. They haven't started laying yet.

Quote:
I bought eggs directly from him. All were infertile (too early out of winter is my guess) except one. I DID open and check for bullseyes and they weren't there. Just to nip that one in the butt before someone asks. The only one that was fertile hatched a rooster... so I went and bought two pullets from Peace of Thyme and they havent' started to lay yet.
The eggs arrived pretty dark. I am hoping this boy can help with that... but I have yet to see what color Peace of Thyme's eggs are as I bought chicks.

Back
Top Bottom