Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Pics
Quote:
So at what age do saddle feathers develop. As expected, I'm not seeing any of them at 7 weeks.

By 7 weeks you should start to see a difference in comb size. Boys will be getting much bigger and redder and girls will have tiny combs.

A pullet just laid one of the darkest eggs I've seen from my Barnevelders.
big_smile.png
Too bad I don't know which one
barnie.gif

30473_darkest_egg_2010.jpg

Quote:
So at what age do saddle feathers develop. As expected, I'm not seeing any of them at 7 weeks.

By 7 weeks you should start to see a difference in comb size. Boys will be getting much bigger and redder and girls will have tiny combs.

That is good news. I think I have 3 out of 3 pullets. Not a bad average!!!

()relics :

Ok so I am posting this here so real Barnevelder people can see it and have first chance at them . I have a standard Barnevelder cockerel, hatched February of this year. He is from my stock, not crossed with anything but barnevelders, I just hatched too many roosters this spring and he doesn't have a spot. He is not a cull, the culls were all taken care of this spring, he is a true to breed youngster, crowing and ready for action.....AND I have 2 bantam barnevelder cockerels, hatched april of this year. Same story as the above boy...DEFINITELY not junk....They are from MY flock, not hatched from someone elses junk. They are/were being raised as potential replacement roosters BUT seemingly ALL the cockerels I hatched this spring are REALLY good so someone has to go...I am not offering these in an auction because I don't need the money...I would rather someone that REALLY wants to improve their line would have them...YES HAVE them....yours for the taking, Pick-up only but absolutely free...When you see these bantam roosters you will faint...Nothing even close to their quality pictured around here....The standard is as good. PM me if you are interested...I don't have any pictures but suffice it to say "better than anything you have ever seen, at least ever held"...1 barnevelder person to another....Just please don't take them and then sell them...Not the point of this exercise. None of these birds or any of my lines have ever come from hatchery stock and breed and hatch true to the parent stock.

Ok, after that intro, you can't leave us hanging--you've GOT to show us pictures of these gorgeous birds!!!!
fl.gif

Laurieks---Here's the 2 chicks older now. I think both looking cockerel(what do you all think?)!! If so, I hatched 4 Barnies this year...alll boys! This isn't the time to buy a lotto ticket!
17059_dsc05184.jpg

Quote:
I hate to say it but that pretty sorrel color on the back one looks Wellie to me.

baby Wellies from eggs from Julie Gabbard (boy, girl, girl)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/39089_partrpenes3whicharethey.jpg
baby barnie cockerel 'Jack' (whiter chest, brown non-laced 'shoulders', & I forgot the wing feather difference) From Johan/vB/KC cross
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/39089_2010barniewing.jpg https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/39089_2010barnieprofile3wks.jpg

()relics :

Ok so I am posting this here so real Barnevelder people can see it and have first chance at them . I have a standard Barnevelder cockerel, hatched February of this year. He is from my stock, not crossed with anything but barnevelders, I just hatched too many roosters this spring and he doesn't have a spot. He is not a cull, the culls were all taken care of this spring, he is a true to breed youngster, crowing and ready for action.....AND I have 2 bantam barnevelder cockerels, hatched april of this year. Same story as the above boy...DEFINITELY not junk....They are from MY flock, not hatched from someone elses junk. They are/were being raised as potential replacement roosters BUT seemingly ALL the cockerels I hatched this spring are REALLY good so someone has to go...I am not offering these in an auction because I don't need the money...I would rather someone that REALLY wants to improve their line would have them...YES HAVE them....yours for the taking, Pick-up only but absolutely free...When you see these bantam roosters you will faint...Nothing even close to their quality pictured around here....The standard is as good. PM me if you are interested...I don't have any pictures but suffice it to say "better than anything you have ever seen, at least ever held"...1 barnevelder person to another....Just please don't take them and then sell them...Not the point of this exercise. None of these birds or any of my lines have ever come from hatchery stock and breed and hatch true to the parent stock.

Very, very tempting... I'm way down south, though and rooster heavy myself. Still....

Post some pics!​

the bantams are top-secret...housed under a camoflaged net to prevent satelite photos...along with the silvers, DO NOT TELL ANYONE ABOUT THE SILVERS...picture? see what I can do...chicken pictures are not a specialty of mine though.

Last edited:
Quote:
how great to get such a nice egg! how old are your POL Barnies? My two Barnies are just under 22 weeks, and the combs and wattles are just starting to develop. I expect it will be at least another month before I see an egg. What do you think?

Quote:
I hate to say it but that pretty sorrel color on the back one looks Wellie to me.

baby Wellies from eggs from Julie Gabbard (boy, girl, girl)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/39089_partrpenes3whicharethey.jpg
baby barnie cockerel 'Jack' (whiter chest, brown non-laced 'shoulders', & I forgot the wing feather difference) From Johan/vB/KC cross
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/39089_2010barniewing.jpg https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/39089_2010barnieprofile3wks.jpg

How funny! I just saw your ad on CL! Those definitely look like they have some Welsummer in them to me too. I actually have 6 right now that I am growing out that I had hatch from eggs from Paul's Poultry as well. I am reluctant to be upset with the eggs because they did at least hatch and they do at least look more like Barnevelders than the one that hatched from my Gabbard eggs. That said, I really suspect they are Barnevelder-Welsummer mixes. I have 3 that totally look like Barnevelders, 2 that almost look more like Welsummers with the V, and 1 that looks mostly like a Barnevelder but with a slight amount of V. It will be interesting to see how mine feather out as well. I had a few eggs from Paul's Poultry that were darker than average for US Barnevelders. I would bet those are the ones that hatched out looking like Welsummers. Maybe they are outcrossing to improve egg color? Who knows, LOL. I know that I personally am going to only keep the ones that appear to be 100% Barnevelders and my goal next year is to hatch as many as I possibly can and then cull like crazy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom