Barred / black cochin cross ? Help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jacob Temple, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Jacob Temple

Jacob Temple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Hey i have a female barred cochin hen and a black cochin rooster and was wondering if they would come out barred please help
  2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Only the Males(roosters) the females will be black... thats a sex linked cross, the females will hatch with an all black head and uper body and with yellow underdown, the Males will hatch with a white/cream head dot
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Short answer – All male offspring will be barred. No female offspring will be barred.

Long answer – same results.

Barred is a sex linked gene. If a hen is barred she only has one barred gene and will give that only to her sons. She does not give that gene to her daughters. If a male that is not barred mates with that barred hen, he gives a copy of not-barred to both his sons and daughters. Barring in dominant over not-barred so any male with one copy of barred and one copy of not-barred at that gene pair will be barred.

Since the daughter only gets a not-barred from her father, she will not be barred. Since he son gets one of each, he will be barred. That’s how you make a black sex link, barred hen and not-barred father. A barred chick will have a light spot on its head at hatch. But there is one further requirement. You have to be able to see the spot. I don’t know what color your barred hen is, and I don’t know how pure their genetics are so I can’t tell you if you will be able to see the spot or not.

Tadkerson gives a good detailed explanation on how to make sex links in the very first post of this thread if you are interested.

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread
  4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:nice to see you became an Educator Ridgerunner....... I was demoted long ago....hehehe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by