Barred / black cochin cross ? Help

Jacob Temple

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Hey i have a female barred cochin hen and a black cochin rooster and was wondering if they would come out barred please help

Quote:
Only the Males(roosters) the females will be black... thats a sex linked cross, the females will hatch with an all black head and uper body and with yellow underdown, the Males will hatch with a white/cream head dot

Short answer – All male offspring will be barred. No female offspring will be barred.

Long answer – same results.

Barred is a sex linked gene. If a hen is barred she only has one barred gene and will give that only to her sons. She does not give that gene to her daughters. If a male that is not barred mates with that barred hen, he gives a copy of not-barred to both his sons and daughters. Barring in dominant over not-barred so any male with one copy of barred and one copy of not-barred at that gene pair will be barred.

Since the daughter only gets a not-barred from her father, she will not be barred. Since he son gets one of each, he will be barred. That’s how you make a black sex link, barred hen and not-barred father. A barred chick will have a light spot on its head at hatch. But there is one further requirement. You have to be able to see the spot. I don’t know what color your barred hen is, and I don’t know how pure their genetics are so I can’t tell you if you will be able to see the spot or not.

Tadkerson gives a good detailed explanation on how to make sex links in the very first post of this thread if you are interested.

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Back
Top Bottom