Barred cochin cross

Abichi

Chirping
Sep 22, 2018
Hi there folks
I had crossed a buff cochin hen with a white cochin and received some barred chicks of this cross.
Now i want to cross these grown barred hens to receive more barred chicks.
What is the best to do? Cross these barred hens with the white rooster again or with another black rooster?
Thx

What is the best to do? Cross these barred hens with the white rooster again or with another black rooster?
So white can be hiding other genes... have you got any pictures of the barred offspring? Are they lemon cuckoo or just cuckoo?

Barred hens crossed to a black (or any dark solid color) rooster will give sex linked chicks with solid black hens and males hatching black with a white spot on head and maturing into barred roosters.

If your white boy is indeed hiding the barring gene, and you mate him to barred hens... I believe a portion (but maybe not all) of your offspring will be barred.

To be honest... I would just order some...
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/barred-cochin-standard-chicken.html

@sylviethecochin I feel like I might have messed up my description, would you care to elaborate? TIA

The hens are cuckoo.
Is not so easy to order because i do not live in us. So we have to work with what we have, thats the problem

have you got any pictures of the barred offspring? Are they lemon cuckoo or just cuckoo?
x2.

If your white boy is indeed hiding the barring gene, and you mate him to barred hens... I believe a portion (but maybe not all) of your offspring will be barred.
Due to the hens carrying barring, all of the male chicks would carry a copy of barring. Because Dad carries barring too, half of the chicks would get barring from him as well.

So, theoretically, half of the girls would have no barring whatsoever. Half of the girls would be single-barred (Dad's barring. They can't inherit Mum's).

Half of the boys would be single-barred (mum's barring only), and half of the boys would be double-barred (mum + dad's barring)

The difference is this:
1579463880695.png

(wider/lighter bars = double-barring)

@sylviethecochin I feel like I might have messed up my description, would you care to elaborate? TIA
Thought I'd elaborate on the exact inheritance of barring, but everything you said was right. Thumbs up.

Do you have access to black hens?
If so I'd start over and breed the white rooster to black hens.
IDK what your end goal is but if it's to have standard barred birds then having the buffs in the mix is gonna be a pain to work with. Lots of unwanted genes that will need to be bred out which could take a few generations and a lot of hatching.
If you could use black hens with your white rooster all you would have to worry about is getting rid of the recessive white gene.
If you want just a rainbow of birds with barring either rooster would work but id use the white one or better yet one of his barred cockerels if you had any and kept one back.

Back
Top Bottom