Barred Rock laying age

I don't really think that the breed of chicken determines when they should start laying. Each bird is different. no matter what their breed is. Some start laying earlier than others and some later. The red combs and wattles and the squat are good signs when they are about to start laying.

I wanted to add that I do raise some Heritage breeds and many the Heritage breeds do tend to start laying later than most other breeds.

I have two barred rocks from the same clutch born April 5.
Today makes 28 weeks.

One started laying a month ago.
One still has not started.
I'm about ready to sell her.
Her comb is bright red.
She's big and fat.
But no eggs.

She's not squatting, but my RIR didn't squat until after she laid.

Last edited:
Acquired 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Americana's at the same time in the spring of '14. Three started laying in Sept and the 4th Barred still has not layed. Comb has not fully developed and actually seems to not to have changed since Oct. Any clues? Have artificial light on now and get from 2-3 a day from the other 3 hens.

Acquired 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Americana's at the same time in the spring of '14. Three started laying in Sept and the 4th Barred still has not layed. Comb has not fully developed and actually seems to not to have changed since Oct. Any clues? Have artificial light on now and get from 2-3 a day from the other 3 hens.
welcome-byc.gif
Some just start laying later than others.

Exciting NEWS!!!!!!
celebrate.gif
love.gif
ya.gif
D.gif

Our female hen, Calypso, is a 17 week old barred rock and she laid her first egg yesterday, August 29th, 2015! yay! our baby girls growing up.

Keep forgetting to say, but my BRs started laying like 9 or 8 months ago XD and also one was killed by a racoon March 14, 2015....Alot of stuff happened since last time I posted on this.

Back
Top Bottom