Barred Rock thread!!

Pics
You have them 'waiting' for treats--really? I wondered if I could train them to do that! I have four--my first time raising chickens--have built them a large coop with a huge run area for the four of them. The coop has two nesting boxes with outside access. They are around 5 months old and the two rhode island reds have started laying already. At first they laid sometimes in the boxes and sometimes wherever. Now it seems the laying is all wherever--any thoughts on why? I have found them on the floor of the coop, by the feeder, in the corners, and just laying out in the open. Also looking to the day when the laying is more consisitent. Since they started 2 weeks ago, have had two eggs on two days, the rest have been one egg and two days with no eggs. I worry about the diet. Switched to organic layer from the organic pullet feed I was using when I got the first egg. They didn't seem to care for the pellets, but seem to be eating it now...I did like someone else on here had written---and I mixed in organic corn, oats, flax meal, whatever that I knew they liked before, for the last week and a half and I think that has helped them adjust to the pellets somewhat.

The two barred rocks aren't laying yet, but it is AMAZING to me the personality change in the reds since they started laying and I noticed it IMMEDIATELY! They were pretty skittish since chicks but now they crouch down and have me pet them and fly up on my arms to perch for treats--
video of them all now online on my webpage-
http://trackingyourroots.com/temp/a.mp4

I didn't have to train him, he does it on his own. Maybe he learned from the dogs? Lol My hen, however, will snatch treats right out of another's mouth and run.

Salem and spell are 16 weeks
Salem just started to crow 2 days ago and this morning he was doing the rooster dance so exciting

They're the same age, 17 weeks, and he was crowing at 7 weeks LOL.
Are we sure he's a Barred Rock?? He has green tinted feathers and a few have a streak of red.

I went to a livestock fair today and the barred rocks were gorgeous. So dark and distinct black and white. I have a hatchery barred rock I got last summer. Sweet as can be, but she looks nothing like the gorgeous ones I saw today. She is more gray with lighter barring.
I have only see birds like mine in yards around. The show ones today seemed smaller too but maybe they were younger birds?

Are the show quality ones as friendly? I have heard they can be aggressive but mine never are. I suppose it depends on the line.

I want some of these after seeing them today. Just stunning

Hi there everyone!! I currently am the happy owner of 4 barred rock hens Pullito, Go-Pro, Finn, and Quinn. Pollito and Go-pro are about 3 months old, and about to lay, from what ive been reading up on, or atleast within a month of laying. My Chick, Finn and Quinn, are from the same clutch, and are practically twins, besides their designs on their beaks.This is Pollito

This is Go-Pro
This is Quinn

This is Finn

I have 4 Barred Rocks at the moment, unfortunately one of them hates me and wont let me take a flipping picture of her XD she pecks at my extremley expensive and sensitive camera Lense, so I leave her alone. But the other 3 are quite friendly!!!!! So here are Pictures of Pollito (adult), Finn, and Quinn! (chicks)

warning - picture heavy *nervous laugh*

Hey all,

My beautiful barred rock named Kung Pao Chicken is officially 31 weeks old today, and has NOT laid an egg yet! Is it time to give up hope, and just accept her as she is? She's big, bright red comb/waddle, healthy...but she's never even squatted for me.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom