Barred Rock thread!!

Pics

Our new pair of Heritage BR pullet & cockerel we got from Jamie Duckworth

18 weeks ago I hatched 13 barred rocks 5 roos and 8 hens do I have to separate the roos or can they all stay together, and if I do need them separate how do I decide who stays and who goes in the freezer. Lastly when should expect the girls to lay, this was my first time with chicks I've always gotten them already laying.

18 weeks ago I hatched 13 barred rocks 5 roos and 8 hens do I have to separate the roos or can they all stay together, and if I do need them separate how do I decide who stays and who goes in the freezer. Lastly when should expect the girls to lay, this was my first time with chicks I've always gotten them already laying.

That's a lot of Roos to hens. I would say as long as they are getting along and not causing too much havoc with the hens they could stay together. That's probably not gonna last long though. The choice of Roos is gonna be entirely up to you based on what you want. Good luck.

Hey all,

My beautiful barred rock named Kung Pao Chicken is officially 31 weeks old today, and has NOT laid an egg yet!   Is it time to give up hope, and just accept her as she is?  She's big, bright red comb/waddle, healthy...but she's never even squatted for me.

Thanks!
Wow I was worried about my girls that are now starting their 19th week but not a single egg. Mine are squatting tho and the comb is brightening up so it won't be long now. Best Of luck let me know if you get an egg.

Hey all,

My beautiful barred rock named Kung Pao Chicken is officially 31 weeks old today, and has NOT laid an egg yet! Is it time to give up hope, and just accept her as she is? She's big, bright red comb/waddle, healthy...but she's never even squatted for me.

Thanks!
It could be the wrong time of the year for egg laying - many chickens will slow down or completely stop laying eggs in the fall and winter. Maybe she is waiting for spring, when days are longer. People say it requires 14 hours of daylight for chickens to lay.

Would a barred rock roo crossed with a cinnamon queen, ee/silkie, or Japanese bantam/silkie give sex linked chicks?

Would a barred rock roo crossed with a cinnamon queen, ee/silkie, or Japanese bantam/silkie give sex linked chicks?

No - for two reasons. The first issue is that the rooster is a barred rock which is barring on the wrong side of the equation for sex linking to take place (black sex links are when the barred rock is on the female side of the equation). The second issue is that the three hen types listed are mixed breeds themselves -- which means you have more parts to the equation than makes for a good outcome. If you want to create sex linked chicks you will need to get a different rooster and put him over specific pure-bred hens. You can find some good info on possible match-ups here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

It's not a big deal. Was just wondering. I knew barring was sex linked somehow but couldn't remember how it worked. Thanks!

I bought 3 bb chicksin early aug. I ended up with 2 cockerels and 1 pullet. I have one of the cockerels away and now have a pair of the noseyest birds ever. My roo is Mahoney and my pullet is Feefee.

Back
Top Bottom