Barred Rock X ???

aoxa , I know all that but if the OP bought here birds as chicks from a hatcheries then the chances are very good that the Rooster is a Sex-link since most all hatcheries breed so that they can feather sex there chicks at birth. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information I dont know very many Sex-links that use Dominate White in the breeding since Dominate White is not a Sex-link gene. Chris
I thought you were speaking to me :p Sorry about that.
If the Rooster was a pure Barred Rock all of his offspring would be Barred.
That's the part that made me think you were talking to me. All of his offspring but ONE is barred. I thought the same thing when I started incubating. I did not expect to have anything other than barred mixes.

The father was not from a hatchery my mom got him from her acupuncturist who's into chickens and I guess does some hobby breeding. My mom says she said that he came from BR parents. But hey, I haven't seen them so she very well could be mistaken.

aoxa,

Did all of your cochin X chicks have feathers on their feet? Im wondering because we just had some babies from Alpha and we thought that the momma was our cochin hen but all the babies so far have come out clean legged. But I wasn't sure if all of them would get the feathers on their legs either because Alpha has clean legs.

It's possible that they are from our Speckled Sussex who has very similar eggs to Zoey, our cochin.

Last edited:
The father was not from a hatchery my mom got him from her acupuncturist who's into chickens and I guess does some hobby breeding. My mom says she said that he came from BR parents. But hey, I haven't seen them so she very well could be mistaken.

aoxa,

Did all of your cochin X chicks have feathers on their feet? Im wondering because we just had some babies from Alpha and we thought that the momma was our cochin hen but all the babies so far have come out clean legged. But I wasn't sure if all of them would get the feathers on their legs either because Alpha has clean legs.

It's possible that they are from our Speckled Sussex who has very similar eggs to Zoey, our cochin.
Most likely came from your speckled sussex. All of their babies have lots of feathers on their legs.

But then again, my cochin has very heavy feathering on her legs as it is. I bet you would get at least a bit no matter what.

Someone else hatched some of my eggs from the same group and they are now 5 weeks old.

Check out the size of them compared to the same aged silkie (also from my eggs). Either the silkies are super small, or the barred mixes are huge! lol

Back
Top Bottom