Barred Rocks!!

Has anyone ever seen this? My BR has yellow feathers on her head. I don't know what in the world would do this?? She has always been like this since she was growing her feathers out. She is 21 weeks old today.

I have 4 other BR's but she is the only one like this.

Has anyone ever seen this? My BR has yellow feathers on her head. I don't know what in the world would do this?? She has always been like this since she was growing her feathers out. She is 21 weeks old today.

I have 4 other BR's but she is the only one like this.

i have a BR chick i got from a farm and she has some copper on her chest and neck area. all i can really come up with for an explanation is mine is a mutt. he had many black chickens with copper necks running around, i took one of them too.

Sex ideas? This is 15 days old, which is early, I know, but I heard that Barred Rocks can be color sexed within a few weeks. I have another that I know is a pullet, she is so very dark with so little barring that there is no way she could be a rooster.

This is the one that's confusing me (Sorry about the Easter Egger in the first picture, she simply had to be in the photo
smile.png
) :

What do you think? She was sexed as a pullet.

Last edited:
Im going with pullet. Black on the legs and feet, straight comb and ive also heard tail feathers come out quicker on pullets. My BR had all three of those traits and is def a girl. :)

@MrChicken095 do u recall how old Scarlet was when she first laid?

edit: im curious of the average age a BR starts to lay. mine is 4 months old and i dont have nesting boxes. we made our coop with 3 but they started sleeping in there, so i took out the dividers and put in a 2x4. i have dowel rods in the coop but they never use them. we learned late that the roosts should be higher than the nests. oops, newbie mistake. so i need to figure out a good place to put a nesting box that i can access and id like to have an idea of the time frame.

Last edited:
@MrChicken095 do u recall how old Scarlet was when she first laid?

edit: im curious of the average age a BR starts to lay. mine is 4 months old and i dont have nesting boxes. we made our coop with 3 but they started sleeping in there, so i took out the dividers and put in a 2x4. i have dowel rods in the coop but they never use them. we learned late that the roosts should be higher than the nests. oops, newbie mistake. so i need to figure out a good place to put a nesting box that i can access and id like to have an idea of the time frame.
lau.gif
When I first read this i started laughing SO HARD! This is the EXACT experience i went through! My chickens started sleeping in our boxes too so we took out the divider and blocked it off. I also learned late that the roost had to be higher than the nest! Anyway, Scarlet layed her first egg when she was about 18-19 weeks old. It was really unexpected. I am really sorry but i can't give you an idea of a time frame, by the way you have previously described your BR it sounds like she is ready to pop any second. Anyway my advice would be to find a place for the nesting boxes as soon as possible! If you post some pics online i bet we could find a place for it together.

So my 17 week old roo has been pulling on the neck feathers of the hens recently. It appears that he may be testing the mating waters, but the hens really screech in pain as he's pulling on them. Is this normal behavior...should I be concerned...or just let him be? I don't want an aggressive roo which is why I'm concerned. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom