bator break-in

Well I'll help you out Sept. 4,15 Oct. 3,12 Nov.8. At least those are the dates I have found I might have missed some but that will get you started.

To start things off this is my basic incubator set up with the materials i had on hand. The box itself is an old bread box i found, I saw it and realized it would be perfect for my first hatch. The shelf i put a 3/4 inch pvc pipe centered on the bottom to turn the eggs.So all i will have to do is bump it one way or the other to tilt the eggs.

I covered the inside with bubble wrap then tin foil. The heating element is just a light bulb ,like all homemade ones I have seen ,and a small fan out of a computer to moving the heat. and everything is on a thermostat.

I have been testing it for a few days and plan on setting eggs by the almanac which will be this Saturday. I'll just be using local eggs.

This Saturday as yesterday? Or the Saturday coming up? I have 9 hens and 1 rooster over them, no broody hens, and want to try to hatch some of my eggs. I'd love to see what happens next!!

Last Saturday, yesterday. But I didn't follow my own instructions see my egg supplier was expecting a new baby any moment, so I decided to go and get the eggs Thursday so I set them that evening. I know I could have waited to set them but I was too excited. And I'm kind of glad I did because she had the baby Saturday morning. :DThe next time the almanac says to set eggs is the 5 th of September. I will try to get some updated pictures asap. Oh and my spring chicken s that I hatched out this year are starting to lay:D.

Last edited:
Very cool...
Now I have to go figure out the Almanac thing? Wait, I better not, I'll get it right and end up with 101 chickens! (The really scary part, I'd be alright with that)

Ya the almanac is very interesting I use it a lot for gardening and weaning cattle. But I can't prove that it is true but it's fun to read. Like with chicken s it says those hatch ed under certain moon sign s will grow faster. But I won't know this hatch but maybe next time.

Ya the almanac is very interesting I use it a lot for gardening and weaning cattle. But I can't prove that it is true but it's fun to read. Like with chicken s it says those hatch ed under certain moon sign s will grow faster. But I won't know this hatch but maybe next time.

If it takes 'two' to speak/believe a truth then I'm in! So it HAS to be true now, right !!! :eek:. I'll throw a temper tantrum, if I have to.
Now I am off to track down this year's copy and figure out these dates before 2015...

I'm very into the biodynamic/lunar cycle thing. It's very accurate I have found. It says this year is very wet, and it has been!!

I plant my seeds, transplant, take cutting, harvest, bake, preserve, press or extract oils according to biodynamic calendar.

So count me in on this choir!!

Interesting... I didn't know about timing for hatching eggs. This Spring was the first year I tried to follow the Almanac's guide for starting and planting seeds... it was an experiment because many things were planted a full month before I normally would. If the slugs had not been so prolific this year it would have g,one better. I had to start many things a few times : )

I will have to think about this for eggs in the future. I am setting some tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom