Bay Area BYCers!

SPRING FLING .... this is coordinated by Dr. Jessica Baldwin, the chicken vet at Analy Vet Hospital in Sebastopol; more info will be coming ..

When: April 27th
Where: Shone Farm of the SRJC
How much: FREE

Time: 10AM - 2pm (ish)

Confirmed speakers/things:
1)Dr Pitesky from the CDFA who will speak about a new disease being seen in CA
(infectious bursal disease) OR something else interesting...
2) Dr Asli Mete from CAHFS who will demonstrate a necropsy or two. CAHFS is our
wonderful state lab that you all should be aware of...
3) Dr Dan will be giving a tour of the Shone Farm poultry house(s)
4) Pot luck lunch 12noon-1pm
5) White chicken gift exchange 2pm
6) I am going to twist Dr Dan's arm to give his parasite talk again for any of
you who missed it at Frizelle-enos.

Dr Dan wants to have a contest for eggs. Start saving eggs!
Here are some categories:
1) Largest chicken egg (start saving those double yolkers!)
2) Darkest brown egg
3) Most spotty egg
4) Darkest olive egg
5) Prettiest blue egg
6) Smallest chicken egg (you know you saved those 'wind eggs' for something)

Penny has volunteered to organize the potluck table. Please bring food to share if you plan to eat food. I encourage you to BYO plates and utensils. Penny- can you do one of those potluck polls so people will know what others are bringing so we don't end up with 50 bags of doritos? Also we should get a few people to sign up for paper plates/sporks/napkins/cups.

This is a non profit teaching farm associated with the JC, so we cannot sell
things/make any money. We can potentially have a swap area for hatching eggs
and/or equipment/plants.

Any of our members build chicken coops for sale? It would be cool to have some
coops on site besides the shone coops, for people to look at.

Does someone want to volunteer to have a small craft table for kids to make poultry related crafts? It can be as easy as coloring pages. Head bands with feathers (you could ask people with chickens to start collecting feathers)? Paper chick masks?

Also on site on the same day there will be some sort of wine class and a
chainsaw (really) class, so folks will need to be careful that they don't
wander into the wrong talk. Though they could be informative!

Jess

SPRING FLING .... this is coordinated by Dr. Jessica Baldwin, the chicken vet at Analy Vet Hospital in Sebastopol; more info will be coming ..

When: April 27th
Where: Shone Farm of the SRJC
How much: FREE

Time: 10AM - 2pm (ish)

Confirmed speakers/things:
1)Dr Pitesky from the CDFA who will speak about a new disease being seen in CA
(infectious bursal disease) OR something else interesting...
2) Dr Asli Mete from CAHFS who will demonstrate a necropsy or two. CAHFS is our
wonderful state lab that you all should be aware of...
3) Dr Dan will be giving a tour of the Shone Farm poultry house(s)
4) Pot luck lunch 12noon-1pm
5) White chicken gift exchange 2pm
6) I am going to twist Dr Dan's arm to give his parasite talk again for any of
you who missed it at Frizelle-enos.

Dr Dan wants to have a contest for eggs. Start saving eggs!
Here are some categories:
1) Largest chicken egg (start saving those double yolkers!)
2) Darkest brown egg
3) Most spotty egg
4) Darkest olive egg
5) Prettiest blue egg
6) Smallest chicken egg (you know you saved those 'wind eggs' for something)

Penny has volunteered to organize the potluck table. Please bring food to share if you plan to eat food. I encourage you to BYO plates and utensils. Penny- can you do one of those potluck polls so people will know what others are bringing so we don't end up with 50 bags of doritos? Also we should get a few people to sign up for paper plates/sporks/napkins/cups.

This is a non profit teaching farm associated with the JC, so we cannot sell
things/make any money. We can potentially have a swap area for hatching eggs
and/or equipment/plants.

Any of our members build chicken coops for sale? It would be cool to have some
coops on site besides the shone coops, for people to look at.

Does someone want to volunteer to have a small craft table for kids to make poultry related crafts? It can be as easy as coloring pages. Head bands with feathers (you could ask people with chickens to start collecting feathers)? Paper chick masks?

Also on site on the same day there will be some sort of wine class and a
chainsaw (really) class, so folks will need to be careful that they don't
wander into the wrong talk. Though they could be informative!

Jess
Hi Jess,

Do we need to register? Deann

The Orps I had did not have skirts. The APA description states that you should be able to see the hocks of an Orpington. The British Orps have the excess fluff around the legs. I used a substrate of straw to keep my birds off the clay. I use a lot of straw here. I show a lot of white birds, so it has worked for me. just a lot of work.

Walt

Thank you for the info. I bought 4 bales and spread it in their area. About 20 yrs. ago, I've had buff and black Orps., which I don't remember ever having mud-chicken problem. They were quite big, fluffy, and like the ones you have mentioned; their feet & following couple of inches were quite visible.
I am having quite a bit confusion, and frustration trying to make sense of the Orpington breed standard. I realize that there is English, and American Orps. which are different from each other. Also, seems like the English Orps. are in fashion amongst some breeders.

I am very involved with the dog show world, which are sponsored by the AKC., and each mother club is sanctioned by the AKC. I am guessing that, when it comes to the poultry shows, they are somewhat similar to the dog shows; where the exhibitors' entrees are judged against the official conformation standards which are set by the mother clubs; approved by the AKC. Our animals are never judged against the European standards. That being the case, how will I be able to exhibit my birds if they are English Orps?

Lual

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Lual, they look really healthy. You've done a great job raising them.
Awwww! thank you, Deann, for the nice compliment! Actually, you are the reason why they are healthy baby Goliaths. They are the progeny of your very healthy, happy, well cared for parents. I saw the latest photo of your roosters; simply gorgeous!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
just chiming in, WFS took my two extra boys last summer -- definitely a good option!

and also wanted to say hello, as i technically live in Penngrove too -- am up here on Sonoma Mtn. *waving to my Sonoma Co. neighbors*!
We live really close to each other; that's wonderful! I hope we meet in person one day. I am up at the, Sonoma Mtn Zen Center, several days a week, well, often at night time as well. I wonder how close you are to the Temple. Our home is quite close to Robert's Rd, X Petaluma Hill Rd. Well, I am waving back at you from the valley : )

Hello Jeremy,

I am having difficulty with my subscription to your thread. I signed in 3 different times, and regardless of what I do, I am not able to get the "immediate" notification. It is not letting me get out of the " weekly digest" which is not working either.In order to see the thread, every time I have to go into my profile. I wonder if you could help me as the,Thread Starter? if not, how should I go about correcting it. Yes, I am a member of couple other threads, where I have not had this problem.

Thank you,
Lual

Hello Jeremy,

I am having difficulty with my subscription to your thread. I signed in 3 different times, and regardless of what I do, I am not able to get the "immediate" notification. It is not letting me get out of the " weekly digest" which is not working either.In order to see the thread, every time I have to go into my profile. I wonder if you could help me as the,Thread Starter? if not, how should I go about correcting it. Yes, I am a member of couple other threads, where I have not had this problem.

Thank you,
Lual
I am not getting notices from any of my subscribed threads and haven't gotten any since the big change several months ago. I've tried every suggestion and finally just gave up. I just go to my subscription page to see if there are any new posts.

To my fellow Bay Area BYCers

Im sorry to say i have some bad news...on of my reliable egg-laying hens died suddenly today.

My housemate had let them out to free range in the backyard and about an hour later he heard a loud commotion. Came out side 5 hens were fine and happy however one of my white rock hens was dead on the ground below the nesting box. He thinks she fell out of the box and broke her neck. No other signs. All other hens are completely healthy and have all been producing 4-5 eggs every day/other day (her included).

Has anyone heard of this before?
What do I do now? I am still fairly new to having chickens (coming up on 1 year this summer).
Do we process her and eat her or just bury her in the yard?

Thoughts and help are much appreciated.

Thanks

To my fellow Bay Area BYCers

Im sorry to say i have some bad news...on of my reliable egg-laying hens died suddenly today.

My housemate had let them out to free range in the backyard and about an hour later he heard a loud commotion. Came out side 5 hens were fine and happy however one of my white rock hens was dead on the ground below the nesting box. He thinks she fell out of the box and broke her neck. No other signs. All other hens are completely healthy and have all been producing 4-5 eggs every day/other day (her included).

Has anyone heard of this before?
What do I do now? I am still fairly new to having chickens (coming up on 1 year this summer).
Do we process her and eat her or just bury her in the yard?

Thoughts and help are much appreciated.

Thanks
So sorry that you lost one of your hens!
hugs.gif
I lost one 2 yrs ago in a similar way. I was at work when my daughter called me all upset. She was outside with the chickens, heard a commotion, and one of our silver laced wyandottes was lying dead on the ground at the foot of a ladder. She was always trying to do the things the younger pullets were doing. She must have slipped or not made it to the high ladder rung, fell, and broke her neck. She was our first adult chicken loss and it was hard. We buried her under the purple potato bush in what has become our chicken graveyard.

Thank you for the info. I bought 4 bales and spread it in their area. About 20 yrs. ago, I've had buff and black Orps., which I don't remember ever having mud-chicken problem. They were quite big, fluffy, and like the ones you have mentioned; their feet & following couple of inches were quite visible.
I am having quite a bit confusion, and frustration trying to make sense of the Orpington breed standard. I realize that there is English, and American Orps. which are different from each other. Also, seems like the English Orps. are in fashion amongst some breeders.

I am very involved with the dog show world, which are sponsored by the AKC., and each mother club is sanctioned by the AKC. I am guessing that, when it comes to the poultry shows, they are somewhat similar to the dog shows; where the exhibitors' entrees are judged against the official conformation standards which are set by the mother clubs; approved by the AKC. Our animals are never judged against the European standards. That being the case, how will I be able to exhibit my birds if they are English Orps?

Lual

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awwww! thank you, Deann, for the nice compliment! Actually, you are the reason why they are healthy baby Goliaths. They are the progeny of your very healthy, happy, well cared for parents. I saw the latest photo of your roosters; simply gorgeous!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
We live really close to each other; that's wonderful! I hope we meet in person one day. I am up at the, Sonoma Mtn Zen Center, several days a week, well, often at night time as well. I wonder how close you are to the Temple. Our home is quite close to Robert's Rd, X Petaluma Hill Rd. Well, I am waving back at you from the valley : )

Lual

My wife Suzanne shows Corgi's and is in the Mensona Club. The APA is not quite like the AKC, but if you show a bird in the USA or Canada, it will be judged by the ABA/APA Standards. The Brits don't use our Standard and we don't use theirs. The Orp Standard for both countries is very close with the Brits allowing for a bit more fluff...but not as much as you see here though and a smaller head. The rest of the description is almost the same. I am an APA/ABA judge and pretty heavy into the shows and the breeding required to do well....so PM questions if you have any. The Orp in my profile pic is pretty much what they should look like, although the color is not as bright as it is a very old faded picture.

Any different kind of chicken is popular here on BYC.....if you show an Orp that looks like a Cochin, but has clean feet, it is not going to do well in most shows.. The British birds are nice looking birds, so if you want eye candy go with the Brit stuff.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom