Bay Area BYCers!

Chocolate Orp Easter baby.
smile.png

She is just darling! Nice work!
big_smile.png

Your mottled Orp pullet is lovely! Too bad I am overrun with chickens right now!
roll.png

I just got a shipment from ideal and they included 11 "packing peanuts", I'm located in SF and since i can't keep them I'm looking for anyone who might have any interest. If i didn't live in the city it might not be such a big deal but 11 extras (and males!) Is making my head spin. Any suggestions?

I just got a shipment from ideal and they included 11 "packing peanuts", I'm located in SF and since i can't keep them I'm looking for anyone who might have any interest. If i didn't live in the city it might not be such a big deal but 11 extras (and males!) Is making my head spin. Any suggestions?
Are you sure they're all males? & what breed(s) are they?

The shipping invoice listed "males for warmth" so that's what I'm going off of. Not sure what breed, they are a solid yellow chick, I can try to post a picture today.

Hi all,

I have a 4 week old cockerel that my husband wants to try and keep, but we are going to be out of the country for a month this summer. I am afraid it will start crowing while we are away and bother the neighbors, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a place we can board him while we are away? He is a nice bantam orpington.

What?! Is that normal? Id be stressing out. Now you have to deal with 11 more mouths to feed or kill baby chicks? Eeeww! Is that considered customer service?!! Not cool. Sorry!

It's a real bummer :( and i don't really have space for them since i wasn't expecting 11 extra chicks. I'm not really sure what to do at this point.

I tried Craigslist but so far I've only been met with hostility.
People explaining that male chicks grow up to be to roosters, as if that was something I want aware of. Others telling me that I can't keep roosters, which I'm also aware of, and I'm clearly not planning on keeping them since I've got an ad posted looking for homes for them.... the whole thing is stressing me out and I haven't even been able to enjoy the chicks I actually DID purchase :/

I tried Craigslist but so far I've only been met with hostility.
People explaining that male chicks grow up to be to roosters, as if that was something I want aware of. Others telling me that I can't keep roosters, which I'm also aware of, and I'm clearly not planning on keeping them since I've got an ad posted looking for homes for them.... the whole thing is stressing me out and I haven't even been able to enjoy the chicks I actually DID purchase :/

It is a very common practice to add chicks to generate heat when the order is under a certain number. If they are Bantams, since the hatcheries does not sex the tiny breeds, you have a bit of chance that some might be pullets. If they are Large Fowl, then as they have indicated all will be cockerels.

They are innocent, lovely babies, and neither their gender nor being used to keep other chicks warm is not their fault. Just enjoy these tiny babies, and when they reach 3 months of age, some of the feed stores will buy them from you. Also, at that time you might have some idea as to what breed they are. At 3 mos. of age they will still be small in size, and quiet to manage easily even in San Francisco.

Lual

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom