Bay Area BYCers!

Quote:
http://www.riellafarms.com/cms/ Is in Manteca

Some of them may be the Game x BCMs that you hatched out from me. Processing the roos was part of the reason I did that mix, so if that's what they are, let me know how it goes.

Yes, they are more than likely your gamexbcm's, or at least a couple of them. Two look the same, one is browner and one is all black with a little white. I suppose I ought to try to get a couple good pics of them and learn to upload.
My dad is willing to process them for me, but he won't be home till late October and I'm getting paranoid that the city will come before then. Really bummed that the one banty who hatched turned out to be a roo, he is my daughter's favorite, but there is no question or hoping now that he's one of the ones crowing.

wolftracks, I've got one that's definitely your Game X Marans cross. It's a little cockerel; I have a pullet that looks very gamey too. I doubt that he's going to be good to process though, as he has the size of the Games with the color and feathered feet of the Marans. I like him though; those two are my only bantam-sized chickens. They're flocked up with my Easter Eggers and the two Ameraucanas that Karen gave me. It's a little tricky to tell them all apart!

Quote:
That's weird. The others here grew pretty fast and were chunky. I haven't processed anything but quail yet, but I have sold most of the mixes. They've help with feed costs a bit.

The other day the neighbors had people over and they fell in love with Ziggy. Well the little cockerel was out today splashing in puddles and chasing bugs and hanging with the others in that group. The people that really went ga ga for Ziggy were back. i told them the cockerel was his son and they want to buy him. I'm not really sure if I want to and not sure how much to ask if I do. I only got 1/2 the eggs I set to develop. I think Ziggy is monogamous. I have one girl who always has broken feathers and one who looks untouched. Maybe I need to hold this little guy after all. I may need him even if I don't get more. 1-1 is a terrible ratio.

I've lost track of how old my quail are. I'm going to have to back track my posts. I think they're 2 weeks and a couple of days. Might be 3.... Don't trust myself to sex them yet, although they are all feathered in. If I'm right I think I have 15 hens. Not great out of 27, but a good start for hens for later. Now I just need to see which roos grew the biggest and this hatch will be good to go. Keep thinking that if there's really 15 hens I'll have lots of eggs to hatch every week anyway. It's a start.

I've got four boys listed right now, myself. Just network the best you can. (I saw your beautiful boys when I listed my own.) If that doesn't work, you could have someone process them for you. If you aren't comfortable with that, you could drive to Santa Rosa, and give them to Western Farm Center. They still might end up as someone's dinner, but they also might find a great home. Plus, Western Farm will usually give you some credit towards feed.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks so much for the advice. I so wish I could keep them. Maybe someday...

I'm completely understanding your predicament. I have 8 roos here right now, and 4 of them have to go IMMEDIATELY!!!

Quote:
http://www.riellafarms.com/cms/ Is in Manteca

Some of them may be the Game x BCMs that you hatched out from me. Processing the roos was part of the reason I did that mix, so if that's what they are, let me know how it goes.

I have a chicken Lovin friend that went to Manteca & had 5 processed. She said it was fast & they had her wait to take them home & cost $5 a piece. A good experience as far as processing goes but she doesn't have the heart for it & will rehome instead from now on.........
sad.png
. I personally have no problem with it but want to do my own.

Kim,
Does it matter what color your Cotunix Quail are? I got the eggs finally but they were a week & 1/2 in the postal system so I don't know if they will even hatch. I did put them in just in case. I have since been told that if these are whites (which they are) they may be a variety that is much larger & fast to mature. Does that matter. Are brown ones okay????

Quote:
Tell me about it Julie,
My head spins everytime I start trying to guess who's who without my records in front of me. I got a 1000 numbered wing ID tags in the mail & the pliers to put them on with. Don (Snowbird) recommended them. Once & for all I am going to mark these chickies & stop changing zip ties every couple of weeks.......LOL. My son is camping at Diana Falls this week end but hopefully we can tackle that job next week sometime.
I still haven't processed any but will before too long. I have really slowed down hatching lately.........LOL I say that with a flat of Denny's (Lotsapaints) meat crossed in the incubator & a flat of her turkies.I have never hatched Turkies before. I hope at least some of them make it. There are 2 types in the I think she said Bourbon Reds & some kind of Whites.
I am trying Quail for Kim too. What tiny eggs. I can only imagine the size of the hatchlings. I though Silkies were small.....LOL

Back
Top Bottom