Baytril or Cipro?

My hen is sick. We've been to the vet 5 times now. None of the antibiotics they've been giving me seem to help.
What have you tried? Has the vet done a poo gram stain?
Baytril or Ciprofloxacin seem to be the best options at this point, but vets are no longer allowed to prescribe them.
Lots of vets still prescribe them.
I have some cipro eardrops left over from when I had an ear infection.
Not enough Cipro in it.
If not, does anyone know of a good source for baytril?

Baytril 10% - All Bird Products

Enrofloxyn: Bird Medications - LadyGouldianFinch.com

I would give 0.068 ml per pound of body weight(15mg/kg) twice a day for 3-5 days.

Oh these babies are my life. I've been through allot the past 6 years. They really were and are still a big part of my therapy. If I'm sad I go out with the ducks and chickens. All 27 now have a special place in my heart. Some more than others. But they really are great pets
Ditto. I literally started raising chicks to take my mind off of killing myself. The indoor ones are even better for that because it keeps me very distracted taking care of them and watching them/talking to them all day.

This is probably a dumb question, but can anyone tell me why she is still so pale? I was really hoping her color would be starting to come back by now.

She's getting about 25 mL of the dog/cat food per day as well as the 100+ mL of the Kaytee food/water slurry. I know it'll take some time for her body to build back it's store of nutrients, but it's just worrying me that she's still so pale. It's probably wishful thinking that she'd get back to normal looking so quickly, and maybe she needs to be cured of the infection before that will happen, but I'd just be curious to hear anyone else's input or experiences.

View attachment 2973968View attachment 2973969
I wonder if it's because she's not completely well yet? Seems like there are many variables that could be behind her color. Does she spend any time outside soaking up the sun? Their feed has lots of stuff in it specifically for poultry, maybe that plays a part? The medications could be working on the infection but causing imbalances elsewhere. I'm not sure to be honest with you. How is she acting? Other than her color, does she seems to be improving? Only 2 days until the Baytril is there, right?

Comb color is more a sign that hormones are dormant than sickness, but an illness can cause hormones to go dormant. Cancer is one of them that can do this. Given the time of year, short days not quite being adequate to trigger hormones, I suggest you be patient and maybe longer days coming will give her the red comb you're yearning for.

HUGE BREAKTHROUGH GUYS!!! I've been setting Ildi in front of the "feeding station" every day, just to see if she's interested at all. She hasn't been. Didn't even acknowledge the feed or water. Today I set her there and she actually took a little sip of water and a couple bites of food from the bucket. She was too tired to keep eating from the bucket, so I took a little dish of food and held it down for her.
IMG_9549.JPG
IMG_9598.JPG

She actually ate! And of course Limpy Jr. had to come eat from the bowl as well, but that's fine. I think his interest help generate interest in her.

Now, she still didn't eat enough to sustain her by any means, so I'm still going to tube her, but I just wanted to share this huge breakthrough!

P.S. Does her comb still look like "spoiled lunch meat" or is it looking a little healthier than that?

Back
Top Bottom