Baytril or Cipro?

Here's our girl today. Sorry the lighting is poop. Also, since I'm posting chicken pictures, I might as well include Limpy Jr. (my permanent indoor chicken) who is keeping her company. I call him The Little Prince, as he is quite spoiled, lol. And she's sitting tilted forward like that because her diaper is on and it feels weird, so don't worry.

View attachment 2981869View attachment 2981870View attachment 2981871
Those are too well loved birds! So lucky to have you!

I bet Limpy Jr aka The Little Prince is thrilled to have Ildi by his side 💜 He is handsome! Does he have an injury or something that makes him have to be an indoor chicken or is he just spoiled rotten 😍

I bet Limpy Jr aka The Little Prince is thrilled to have Ildi by his side 💜 He is handsome! Does he have an injury or something that makes him have to be an indoor chicken or is he just spoiled rotten 😍
He has so many problems, some minor some major.

I think his mother must have been really malnourished, because he had horrible spraddle leg as a chick. Even with hobbles he would still end up spraddling out. It was looking pretty hopeless, so I decided to get drastic and I wrapped his legs together (like a pogo stick) and he managed to hop around pretty well actually. I worked with him daily and got him to the point he could walk, albeit with a limp, and he went to live outside with the other chickens. They always picked on him, and he had trouble making it up and down the ramp into the coop. He always slept on the floor because he couldn't make it up to the roost. He kinda did ok for a while, if you call it ok, but this fall when I let everyone out he came, but just stood huddled up in a ball. I picked him up and he was an absolute skeleton. His keel was practically cutting through his chest skin. No muscle or fat AT ALL! He weighed 1 lb 7 oz. I rushed him to the vet and he had a respiratory infection which took multiple rounds of antibiotics to cure, but he eventually recovered. (He had been inside about a month at this point). Since I could watch him all the time I saw how hard of a time he has getting around. He tips over constantly when trying to preen, walk, and the "recoil" of pecking up food will also cause him to fall backwards sometimes. His joints pop and click all the time too. He also seems to have some kind of a tic, because when he hears talking he shakes his head continuously. There's a weird little growth on his left earlobe, and the lobe kind of "inflates" when he crows. He also had a couple of fainting spells which scared the hell out of me, so I took him to the vet again, and it turns out he has a heart condition. His heart rate is 180 bpm, when it should be 300 bpm, so he's prone to passing out if he puts his head too low. He has heart medication now that I give him twice daily, and he also has joint medication to help with pain. The vet's best guess for the tic and inflating earlobe is that he has some kind of extra tube in his head anatomy that routes air differently, which could make him more sensitive to sounds and prompt the head shaking when he hears voices. So, long story short, he isn't fit for life outdoors, so he's my little indoor companion now.

I hadn't, but I took a look now that you posted it.
The thing with her abscess is that it's not just a nice big ball of pus that I can pop out. It's mostly just inflamed tissue? I asked the vet to show me the pus the third time he took it out, and it was three little pieces (like rice grain sized) and they actually looked white rather than yellow.

I think his mother must have been really malnourished, because he had horrible spraddle leg as a chick. Even with hobbles he would still end up spraddling out. It was looking pretty hopeless, so I decided to get drastic and I wrapped his legs together (like a pogo stick) and he managed to hop around pretty well actually. I worked with him daily and got him to the point he could walk, albeit with a limp, and he went to live outside with the other chickens. They always picked on him, and he had trouble making it up and down the ramp into the coop. He always slept on the floor because he couldn't make it up to the roost. He kinda did ok for a while, if you call it ok, but this fall when I let everyone out he came, but just stood huddled up in a ball. I picked him up and he was an absolute skeleton. His keel was practically cutting through his chest skin. No muscle or fat AT ALL! He weighed 1 lb 7 oz. I rushed him to the vet and he had a respiratory infection which took multiple rounds of antibiotics to cure, but he eventually recovered. (He had been inside about a month at this point). Since I could watch him all the time I saw how hard of a time he has getting around. He tips over constantly when trying to preen, walk, and the "recoil" of pecking up food will also cause him to fall backwards sometimes. His joints pop and click all the time too. He also seems to have some kind of a tic, because when he hears talking he shakes his head continuously. There's a weird little growth on his left earlobe, and the lobe kind of "inflates" when he crows. He also had a couple of fainting spells which scared the hell out of me, so I took him to the vet again, and it turns out he has a heart condition. His heart rate is 180 bpm, when it should be 300 bpm, so he's prone to passing out if he puts his head too low. He has heart medication now that I give him twice daily, and he also has joint medication to help with pain. The vet's best guess for the tic and inflating earlobe is that he has some kind of extra tube in his head anatomy that routes air differently, which could make him more sensitive to sounds and prompt the head shaking when he hears voices. So, long story short, he isn't fit for life outdoors, so he's my little indoor companion now.
So I was jealous of you having a vet that will even look at your chickens, but after reading about LJ/Prince (Limpy Jr) I am super jealous that you have a wonderful vet that must go above and beyond more than any vet I've dealt with (with the exception of the neurologist that treated my Maltese with encephalitis). That's an incredible story of inspiration. I think you could write an awesome book about this story. Please let me know if you ever decide to do this 💜

Your dedication to your chickens is amazing. I hope your vet is reasonably priced as I can’t imagine your bills! I know you can’t put a price on ❤️

Your dedication to your chickens is amazing. I hope your vet is reasonably priced as I can’t imagine your bills! I know you can’t put a price on ❤️
Between Limpy Jr. and Ildi we're about $1,000 in since December, and since I don't have a job right now it'd definitely been very tough/stressful. But yeah, to me it's no different than parents who find out that their kid has cancer. You do anything you can to save your kid, as long as the quality of life is going to be good. The $ isn't even a factor.

Howdy y'all,

Here's our update for today: She has been off the meds since Wednesday (2/2) and her condition has actually been improving. She's eating and drinking totally on her own now. Thank God. Her cold/flu thing has basically cleared up. No more eye bubbles, and her breathing is basically clear now. She has the color back in her face, her wattles are red again, and her comb is pretty red too. Not quite back to normal, but definitely moving in the right direction.

Of course there always has to be some bad with the good, so maybe someone can tell me what this is. She has this dark bump under her skin on her face (that same left side again). If I didn't know better I'd guess it was a hematoma or something, but I don't know how she would have gotten it. Does this look familiar to anyone? What is this? I have a vet appointment for the 16th, but that's far away and I don't want to let something happen to her in the meantime.

IMG_9650.JPG
IMG_9654.JPG
IMG_9655.JPG
IMG_9656.JPG

Back
Top Bottom