BB turkey with bare tummy.

ScoobyRoo

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Land of OZ
hit.gif
Going to cry and get it out of my system now. The first week of October, we are going to process our BB tom and hen. We plan to pluck them but I'm concerned about their bare bellys. They are too heavy to roost and weigh just over 25# a piece. So they tend to lay down alot. Is this going to affect the skin coloring, taste etc.? Does it need a good bleach/water cleaning on that bare patch or is it wasted? Any ideas?

I do have another question. I remember a thread or post about someone using 'large' bags to store the whole turkey in. I searched but no luck. Anyone know where to get these?

Make sure they have clean dry bedding , straw or wood chips each day. My cornish rocks were getting a messy and bare underneath so I kept them clean and they finished great.
Good luck there is still time.

I have never raised meat birds. but you get the BIG bags at just about any major grocery store or major retailer. They are called Ziploc XL, XXL or XXXL bags. We use them to store hunting clothes in to keep them scent free.

Quote:
Thanks for the response.
I thought that if I did wash the skin good, maybe a tad bit of bleach should make it cleaner? The skin isn't broken so.....?

My turkeys free range most of the time and they lay where ever they dang well please. Dry, wet, muddy, you name it.

Henry'schickens :

Quote:
Thanks for the response.
I thought that if I did wash the skin good, maybe a tad bit of bleach should make it cleaner? The skin isn't broken so.....?

My turkeys free range most of the time and they lay where ever they dang well please. Dry, wet, muddy, you name it.

DON'T wash your meat with bleach.​

Quote:
Thanks for the response.

DON'T wash your meat with bleach.

I didn't plan on doing the meat. Just the exposed skin that has been in contact with the ground. Is that still a No-No? Please tell me to clean it with something! Just knowing that they laid anywhere,
sickbyc.gif
makes my stomach churn.

Henry'schickens :

Quote:
DON'T wash your meat with bleach.

I didn't plan on doing the meat. Just the exposed skin that has been in contact with the ground. Is that still a No-No? Please tell me to clean it with something! Just knowing that they laid anywhere,
sickbyc.gif
makes my stomach churn.​

If you're that concerned about it, just skin your bird. Otherwise, clean with water ONLY. You'll be fine once you cook your bird. Just remember, you're raising your own to AVOID chemicals right?

Back
Top Bottom