Beak injuries for all

Lumikko

Songster
Sep 14, 2019
Wayne, NJ
Little background, we're most of the way through building a new coop for our girls and had a tarp over the roof overnight. They're still sleeping in their old coop that has been separated from the run but they went back into the run this morning. The tarp was pulled off the new coop this morning with the girls still in their connected run and there was slight chaos. I did not observe this but came outside a little later and all 4 girls have injuries to their beaks, I'm guessing from crashing into the hardware cloth.

Most of them are extremely minor little scrapes but I'm worried about Rosemary. I've attached pictures but the tip of her beak is painful. I've cleaned up everyone (Vetericyn) and am closely monitoring. I haven't seen anyone pecking at each other. I'm worried about Rosemary's ability to eat. She's currently sitting on my lap, attempted to peck at my hair, and made all sorts of little clucking noises and stopped. Is there anything I should be doing? Should I wet down her food?

Thank you!
20200809_095745.jpg
20200809_095735.jpg
20200809_095728.jpg

I think that she will be okay and will not lose her beak. It may be necessary to provide her with moistened feed until things heal.

Hi all. I wanted to update this thread to see if I could get some additional help/information on the beak injury. It looked like it was healing up okay, slowly but okay. The last two days the very tip of her beak looks like it's turning black. I think she might lose the end of it. It seems like a silly question but will she do okay like this? She's been eating, drinking, and acting normally to this point. I'm just worried and want to make sure I take any steps to make things easier for her with a damaged beak. I will get more pictures tomorrow but the darker spot in this picture looks worse tonight. :(
20200827_072802.jpg

Back
Top Bottom