Bear attack nearby

I've got a 12lb goose that I've seen run face first into my electric fence wires... if the Goose is ok, I'm sure your daughter will be.

There's no current to these things anymore - they really can't do much damage.

As kids we would see who could hang onto them the longest. It was a way small town boys tested their toughness. Not saying it was a great idea, but we are all still here to talk about it.

Electric fences are not death sentences if you touch one. Exactly. It's more of the startle effect. When I was younger I was in the habit of grabbing a-hold of my electric fence at Sundown and standing there in the gathering dusk for up to a minute watching the blue sparks shoot out from the soles of my work shoes and run to ground. I only did this during dry weather when I wasn't as well grounded. The jolts did wonders for my tired muscles. But I can assure you that any child or chicken killing varmint who touches an electric fence is not likely to go near an electric fence for a very long time. The suddenness and unexpected nature of a few thousand volts running through your body is a good wakeup call for vermin to leave your chickens alone. Also a good wakeup call for me to duck lower next time!
gig.gif

The Black Bear terrorizing your neighborhood is not the responsibility of your local government. Your state Government is responsible for overseeing these troublesome animals, infact by a matter of law the bear belongs to the State of Massachusetts. Complain to the State Game, Fur, & Fish department if you want action. Yes! I was so focused on the fence, I forgot to mention that. You will likely get them to at least relocate the offending animal. Black Bears are a grave danger to children and women, even breaking into houses to kill and eat the inhabitant. Black Bears are much more likely to launch a purely predatory attack against a human than the larger and more menacing Grizzly Bear. Remind the Fish and Game folks that they ultimately bare [or is bear] responsibility for this animal.

Do be advised however that if you are not prepared or even eager to feed a few of your chickens or maybe a child to the bear for your neighbors' morbid amusement, that there are some people living in most communities who will look down their noses at you for being insufficiently green.

As kids we would see who could hang onto them the longest. It was a way small town boys tested their toughness. Not saying it was a great idea, but we are all still here to talk about it. When my husband was growing up, he convinced his city cousin to pee on it...

OP, and electric fence isn't electrified all the time, either. It pulsates so it's just a real quick shot, not a steady current running through your body.

As kids we would see who could hang onto them the longest. It was a way small town boys tested their toughness. Not saying it was a great idea, but we are all still here to talk about it.
And those were WAY more dangerous than the ones you can get today.

I had a black bear take my layers this summer. It was a small bear but we had a hard winter and a long spring. I was here when it happened and he had 'claimed' the chickens. I have electric fence setup now and it seems to be effective, although with a trail camera up the bear has not returned. I hear some people say they avoid them even if they are off. As for little ones and guests, I hear ya, it's not the same...no injuries though.

Electric fences are not death sentences if you touch one.  When I was younger I was in the habit of grabbing a-hold of my electric fence at Sundown and standing there in the gathering dusk for up to a minute watching the blue sparks shoot out from the soles of my work shoes and run to ground.  I only did this during dry weather when I wasn't as well grounded.  The jolts did wonders for my tired muscles.  But I can assure you that any child or chicken killing varmint who touches an electric fence is not likely to go near an electric fence for a very long time.  The suddenness and unexpected nature of a few thousand volts running through your body is a good wakeup call for vermin to leave your chickens alone.

The Black Bear terrorizing your neighborhood is not the responsibility of your local government.  Your state Government is responsible for overseeing these troublesome animals, infact by a matter of law the bear belongs to the State of  Massachusetts.  Complain to the State Game, Fur, & Fish department if you want action.  You will likely get them to at least relocate the offending animal.  Black Bears are a grave danger to children and women, even breaking into houses to kill and eat the inhabitant.  Black Bears are much more likely to launch a purely predatory attack against a human than the larger and more menacing Grizzly Bear.  Remind the Fish and Game folks that they ultimately bare [or is bear] responsibility for this animal. 

Do be advised however that if you are not prepared or even eager to feed a few of your chickens or maybe a child to the bear for your neighbors' morbid amusement, that there are some people living in most communities who will look down their noses at you for being insufficiently green. 

Black bears aren't actually terribly dangerous to people unless they have lost their fear of people. Even then, there have only been 63 deaths due to black bear attacks since the early 1900's, and most of those were in the wilderness. Thats why it is such a big deal whenever it happens. Grizzleys are far more aggressive, you are just less likely to see them in most area (unless you live in Montana or Alaska). Black bears definitely will go after chickens though, they're an easy meal, and we have had issues with them eating small stock where I am lately too. I would definitely try contacting the department of wildlife, or whatever equivalent you have in your area. They may relocate the bear, especially if you live in a suburban area. Can't hurt to try. If you can't do the electric around your whole yard, do you have a run that you can do it around at least? That is probably your best bet.

Black bears aren't actually terribly dangerous to people unless they have lost their fear of people. Even then, there have only been 63 deaths due to black bear attacks since the early 1900's, and most of those were in the wilderness. Thats why it is such a big deal whenever it happens. Grizzleys are far more aggressive, you are just less likely to see them in most area (unless you live in Montana or Alaska). Black bears definitely will go after chickens though, they're an easy meal, and we have had issues with them eating small stock where I am lately too. I would definitely try contacting the department of wildlife, or whatever equivalent you have in your area. They may relocate the bear, especially if you live in a suburban area. Can't hurt to try. If you can't do the electric around your whole yard, do you have a run that you can do it around at least? That is probably your best bet.

I will definitely research Massachusetts Dept of Wildlife info and call them about the bear. We already have a very secure run. Actually made from an old wooden swingset and 2x4s. Entirely covered with hardware cloth that is buried 6" deep and 1' out, roofing on 1/2 of it to keep part of it dry (you can see photos is it on my profile page). We do let them free range in our fenced yard occasionally, but only when we are out there with them and only for about an hour at a time. The only thing we have going for bear protection is that the coop is very close to the house (about 8' from it) inside of a fence. The other coop it broke into was at the back end of the property, close to the woods.

He knows.

Every time someone mentions bears - he tries to scare everyone he can.

Well, a bear was hit by a car on the highway this morning. I am not happy to hear that, but I do hope it is the chicken eater and not some other random bear.

Back
Top Bottom