Bedding for brooders ! :)

grace21

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2016
What bedding should I use in my brooder ?
I have access to hay, chaff both lucerne and shandy and possibly sand,
which one of these would be best?
TIA :)

Never done it, but i have read that wood shavings, covered with kitchen paper towels (so the chicks can see the food they inevitably spill everywhere) is another option.

CT

I first put down a layer of puppy pads then covered them with paper towels. Just kept adding clean paper towels on top of the old ones. After a week (and one roll of paper towels), thet had pretty much figured out what was food and I was consistently seeing normal droppings so I switched to low dust shavings. One bale lasted until they were 8 weeks old. So, total of about $6 spent.

An Old thread? I know..But I just wanted to add that I use Chaff in my brooder, whom currently my silky chicks are running around in. Chaff is alright right? Never tried it before and I am hoping to keep my silkys alive.

-Mustang

What bedding should I use in my brooder ?
I have access to hay, chaff both lucerne and shandy and possibly sand,
which one of these would be best?
TIA
smile.png

'Best' in my experience is actually brooding on wire with a litter pan below to catch the droppings, it's a much cleaner environment....

I'll have to agree with JetCat, besides baby chicks started on 1/4 inch hardware cloth are protected from Coccidosos and most other things that go bump in the night.

Update: I now love using the equine pine pellet bedding for my brooders over shavings. It turns to sawdust as it absorbs the droppings and all I have to do is give it a stir every once in a while--the sawdust sinks to the bottom and whole pellets rise to the top. Even works great with waterfowl and their messy little selves!

Back
Top Bottom