Bedding for brooders ! :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by grace21, Mar 17, 2016.

1. grace21

grace21 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2016
    What bedding should I use in my brooder ?
    I have access to hay, chaff both lucerne and shandy and possibly sand,
    which one of these would be best?
    TIA :)

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    'Best' in my experience is actually brooding on wire with a litter pan below to catch the droppings, it's a much cleaner environment.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Never done it, but i have read that wood shavings, covered with kitchen paper towels (so the chicks can see the food they inevitably spill everywhere) is another option.

CT

4. 2oldnow

2oldnow Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    What size wire? One half inch? Thanks

5. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    i use 1/2x1/2 in my brooders, for quail i have to line it with paper towels the first week but chickens/ducks/turkey go directly on the wire with no problems.

6. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I first put down a layer of puppy pads then covered them with paper towels. Just kept adding clean paper towels on top of the old ones. After a week (and one roll of paper towels), thet had pretty much figured out what was food and I was consistently seeing normal droppings so I switched to low dust shavings. One bale lasted until they were 8 weeks old. So, total of about $6 spent.

7. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

An Old thread? I know..But I just wanted to add that I use Chaff in my brooder, whom currently my silky chicks are running around in. Chaff is alright right? Never tried it before and I am hoping to keep my silkys alive.

-Mustang

8. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012

I'll have to agree with JetCat, besides baby chicks started on 1/4 inch hardware cloth are protected from Coccidosos and most other things that go bump in the night.

9. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Update: I now love using the equine pine pellet bedding for my brooders over shavings. It turns to sawdust as it absorbs the droppings and all I have to do is give it a stir every once in a while--the sawdust sinks to the bottom and whole pellets rise to the top. Even works great with waterfowl and their messy little selves!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by