Bertha is running a fever

Plantakiss

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2017
I noticed yesterday that one of my chickens was huddled in the corner by the deck, not acting right and very lethargic. I was unable to get to her because I recently had a hip replacement. My son noticed her doing the same thing today. We brought her in the house and have been giving her electrolytes. We found one small spot by her ear that had dried blood. My neighbor, who also has backyard chickens, give us some blue paste stuff to rub on the wound. Since she has been drinking the electrolytes her fever seems to have come down. Is there anything else I can do for her? We have her in a box with a Towel over it so she can rest. My husband won't let me hold her in my lap due to my incision from surgery.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    469.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Give her some wet feed and keep her drinking. Any other signs of a fight? Did she get pecked? No other wounds or anything else? No puss from the wound? May be a fever from a possible infection but if her fever is coming down, just rest and feed/water.

Give her some wet feed and keep her drinking. Any other signs of a fight? Did she get pecked? No other wounds or anything else? No puss from the wound? May be a fever from a possible infection but if her fever is coming down, just rest and feed/water.
I could not find any other wounds or puss on her. I plan to keep her in the box in the house with me tonight. Thanks, your advice makes me feel better.

How did you know she had a fever? Chickens' temperatures can vary from 102 to 108 F, and a lot depends on the last time they have eaten. They can looked very red and flushed with a fever from my limited experience, and may have ruffled feathers. My guess is that she has been bullied and kept from her food and water, and that she is very weak. She also could just be ill with one of many different problems. Giving her the water will electrolytes, offering some chopped egg, and some chicken feed mixed with a lot of water which may be attaractive to her. Feel of her crop to check if there is any food in it. Has she been laying eggs recently. How old is she?

What temperatures have you recorded and how were they taken?
I did not use a thermometer or record them, but her legs were incredibly warm, warmer than usual. She was also very lethargic, falling asleep in my lap or while drinking electrolytes.

How did you know she had a fever? Chickens' temperatures can vary from 102 to 108 F, and a lot depends on the last time they have eaten. They can looked very red and flushed with a fever from my limited experience, and may have ruffled feathers. My guess is that she has been bullied and kept from her food and water, and that she is very weak. She also could just be ill with one of many different problems. Giving her the water will electrolytes, offering some chopped egg, and some chicken feed mixed with a lot of water which may be attaractive to her. Feel of her crop to check if there is any food in it. Has she been laying eggs recently. How old is she?
Her crop feels full to me and that concerns me. We got her the beginning of April as day-old chicks at the local farm store. They have been laying for about a month or so. My son checked for eggs yesterday and he said there was one with "a flimsy shell" His words, so he chucked it. He does NOW know to bring me ANY egg that looks strange in any way. I have kept her in a box next to me since we brought her in and offer her the electrolytes a couple times an hour. We scrambled an egg and offered it but she was not interested in that or the wet feed as of yet. I have found another wound since my initial post and put the blue paste on it. I do think she is starting to get a little bit better but she has not eaten yet.

Bertha is still in the box in the house with me. She continues to take the electrolytes when offered, about 2-3 times per hour. I scrambled an egg and gave her some wet feed too, but she did not take any of either-but was showing some interest this last time. I will keep offering it to her. She has pooped twice, some of it was dark green (kind of looks like cooked spinach) and the rest was white on a light beige color, both times. She seems to be a little less lethargic than yesterday. I will keep her in and keep offering her the wet food, egg, and electrolytes. Thank you all. I appreciate all the advice, I've never had a sick chicken.

Back
Top Bottom