Best animal to raise for raw fed dogs?

Eris

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas
I have two raw fed dogs, and I'm wondering what everyone would suggest is the best animal to raise to feed them? I'm leaning towards birds, since I don't have a way to store large amounts of meat. I have no freezer.

So what bird would you suggest? Just chickens? Turkeys? Or quail? duck? guinea?

Invest in a freezer, then you can purchase chicken backs and other cheap cuts to meet their protein needs. The freezer will pay for itself very quickly.

You are probably going to want to vary the diet. Cornish Cross chickens, Pekin ducks, pigs, and the meat breeds of rabbit have good feed conversion and fast growth.

I think that the rabbits are the easiest to butcher, but they are too lean for the full time diet. Pekins get fat, so if you alternated rabbit and Pekin, that should work.

I don't know about pigs. I thought I heard pork was bad for dogs. Maybe it is just cooked pork?

Chickens and gets some lamb maybe. Lamb is in dogfood and what about fish?

out of curiosity, why can't they eat cooked pork? I assume it is bad for them, but why? I had never heard this, our dogs have eaten cooked pork before. As well as the bones from Pork roast. Just curious as to what is bad about it.

Quote:
I should have clarified. Cooked pork with bones can splinter. Bacon and sausage are salty and filled with nitrates. Other than that, they can eat pork. I feed it to mine, RAW. I do give mine bacon as a treat in small amounts.

Back
Top Bottom