Best chicken breeds

True! I order hatchery catalogs for this reason. I have found that Myers and McMurray have good (free) catalogs for this. I am planning on ordering others later today - just because they are fun to read.
Let me know where you order catalogs from! I love catalogs.

I think it depends on the bird itself to be quite honest. Some of my first birds were 3yr olds, and now I have 60 birds because my one was the best bird ever. Followed me around, learned tricks, always seemed to know what I was asking of her and would do it. Also trained my other birds to do certain things and behave well. She would always follow me wherever I went, and she was a lohman brown (red sexlink). Sad to say she's been gone for near a year, but my austra white and lavender orpintons are always jumping on my lap! My Austra White even comes up for hugs and perches on my shoulder.

Let me know where you order catalogs from! I love catalogs.

I think it depends on the bird itself to be quite honest. Some of my first birds were 3yr olds, and now I have 60 birds because my one was the best bird ever. Followed me around, learned tricks, always seemed to know what I was asking of her and would do it. Also trained my other birds to do certain things and behave well. She would always follow me wherever I went, and she was a lohman brown (red sexlink). Sad to say she's been gone for near a year, but my austra white and lavender orpintons are always jumping on my lap! My Austra White even comes up for hugs and perches on my shoulder.
Chickens certainly do have a lot of personality! Your birds sound adorable. I have to admit, I love having chickens as pets. I get others have them for different reasons, but for me - my chickens are pets.

I get catalogs from Meyer's, Cackle, Ideal, Welp, McMurray... I am sure there are others, but I can't think of all of them right now. Oh - and i subscribe to Backyard Poultry magazine.

I have Barred Rock, Silver-laced Wyandotte, New Hampshire Red, Buff Orpington and Ameraucana. None love being picked up and held but the BO and Ameraucana tolerate it best. None are mean but the NH can be pecky and is incredibly nosy. I wanted friendly (for the grandkids), cold hardy and good layers. That is exactly what I got. I inherited the Ameraucana from my neighbors and at 6 she is still laying huge blue eggs every 2nd or 3rd day. The BO and NH are the only ones to go broody and since I don't have a rooster I do have to deal with that. The BO gets quite cranky and it cracks me up to see her - it's so unlike her usual disposition. I wish I could have one of every breed!

Last edited:
I have a friendly Speckled Sussex that is over a year old and never laid an egg either! She did get in the nest box a couple of times, but that was 6 months ago and I'm sure she never laid! She, her name is Sadie, she seems rather hyper and runs all over, follows me like a puppy dog and is the most curious of the flock! I love the little freeloader!

Me too! She is the sweetest of my flock of 3 so she can free load all she wants! Here is a picture of the little free loader:

52725394_2318527434824741_7253454087901937664_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom