Best Coon Killer Ever (if killing is only option) !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
From what I've experienced with the raccoons, they ate the head off of two and left the body, ate the face off another, and one was totally gone except for some feathers. Hawks can leave a pile of feathers too but attacks during day-evening, and I'm no expert on skunks, but I read that they pose a danger to chickens too.

skunks will kill chickens too, I saw this first hand in our coop.
coons will usually take the whole bird if possible, especially if they have little ones to feed.

Quote:
Its illegal to shoot animals out of season, regardless to what we all do and think about our animals-fowl or livestock and gardens.

skunks will kill chickens too, I saw this first hand in our coop.
coons will usually take the whole bird if possible, especially if they have little ones to feed

Desperation will do anything to any mother. Personally I have been around skunks, trapping etc for many years now and I cannot say that here in Maine that skunks kill chickens. If opportunity arises, one on the floor of the coop, ill, injured, you will have that problem of them getting after your birds. They prefer the eggs, grain and water that is around.
One thing to back up my statements are how many of us loose a hen, 21 days later she comes wandering out with a clutch of chicks...now, don't we all have skunks? All animals are opportunists, they are not aware of human boundaries, we live in their territory, not them living in ours.

Awhile back I let my chickens out to free range, they were out about a week and I lost four chickens. Two I never saw any signs of whats-so-ever, two I only saw a pile of feathers. Needless to say I am scared to let them outside now. Would this be the work of coons??

Sounds like the work of a hawk or raptor, they grab leaving feathers behind and take the body off to a high perch or nest. A coon will eat it there or drag it off. We always make the comment that a hawk will "lift" the chicken right out of its pants.​

This is absorbed into the animal's system, in order to kill it, correct? What happens if that animal is then consumed by another animal?

Quote:
Very valid point and question. I would assume that it is like any other poison and will be ingested with the carrion, then killing that animal. Trapping and shooting would seem to be a much more responsible method in many respects. It's more work, but the easy way is rarely the best IMO

We found all three coons within two to five feet of the bait. We waited until ten at night placed out the bait in an old chicken coop, shut the door and locked it. They dug in and ate the bait, then managed to scoot back under, walk a few feet and fall. We then woke up early, put up the bait for daytime, and disposed of the racoons. We have fenced in yards in an Ag neighborhood and other wild animals normally keep there distance.
As with any poison, rat bait etc, care & common sense must be used.
I would not leave it were other animals, including wild birds might drink it,
although I don't know if they would like the smell. Putting it under a small covered area would be ideal.
Do not leave it sit out, the quicker you put it up the less chance of killing something you want to keep.
Shooting with houses so close was not ideal.
Traps took forever if at all to work, and if coons are smart enough to run a populated neighborhood, they are smart enough to avoid traps IMO and recent experience, with plenty of
set traps weighted with blocks and food gone.
I do not like killing any animal, but I put a lot of time and love into my animals as well as money and do not like seeing it ripped apart over my yard. If they we just passing through or eating other things and not my animals, they could have stayed, but they crossed the line and I felt this has been the safest for us, our neighbors and most humane for the coon. If you are in a place you can shoot w/o hitting neighbors, are a decent shot and have a gun then shoot away....not all of us are. I shutter at the thought of my hubby with a bb gun and the damage he could do with that - not joking. Some of us would be more dangerous with any type of gun in an excitable condition. So I used this method, not the best for some, but was the best for us.

Last edited:
Quote:
DANGER DANGER, This will kill the animal within a few feet. Same for any animal or small child. not even time to get them to a doc.

Most State have laws from using that mix for good reason.

Trap or shoot, Here in Ohio you are allow to trap and shoot animal after your birds,except the bird of prey.

At least with rat poison it takes time to kill.

Posting this mix to be use to kill animals, you could be blame if someone use it and kill a child ,or pet.

My father alway said be sure what you are shooting at.

With poison you dont know what you killing until you find it DEAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom