Best Drakes For My Flock?

Crazy Duck Lover

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Southern United States 🇺🇸
I have a mixed flock that recently hatched. I may be getting ahead of myself but idrc. Anyway, it’s a mix of rouens, a female welsh harlequin, cayuga, and potentially some runners. I only know the sex of welsh. What would be the best breed drake to purchase for my hens? (as longs as some of these are hens) I read the smaller the drake the better, so I was looking into a call/bantam drake but the fact that they fly turned me off. (my house and all my neighbors down the street have ponds) Any suggestions is appreciated!

- Zach

I have a mixed flock that recently hatched. I may be getting ahead of myself but idrc. Anyway, it’s a mix of rouens, a female welsh harlequin, cayuga, and potentially some runners. I only know the sex of welsh. What would be the best breed drake to purchase for my hens? (as longs as some of these are hens) I read the smaller the drake the better, so I was looking into a call/bantam drake but the fact that they fly turned me off. (my house and all my neighbors down the street have ponds) Any suggestions is appreciated!

- Zach
We have a mixed breed drake that works fine for us. Might you give mixed breeds drakes a thought?

Fertilizing eggs!
Okay, then you’ll want a drake who is about the same size as your girls so he can get the job done. Having one smaller can make it harder for him and increase the chance of pulling neck feathers out.
I have a black crested drake who just loves his Pekin girls, but they are so much bigger than him he can never get the job done and always falls off and pulls some feathers as he goes.
On another note, he’s figured out that they are so big he can securely stand on them as the walk around. So there’s an entertainment factor there

Well he will definitely get the job done! Welshies are known for their ability to lay lots of very fertilized eggs! Also If you have to cull any of the mixes the lady I bought my first welshies from (she breeds a ton of different kinds of waterfowl but mostly ducks) said that they taste AMAZING compared to the greasy and fat meat birds.

Back
Top Bottom