Best Egg Layer Award!

Who do you think are the best egg layers?

• Total voters

CloneFly

Never say Never
Premium Feather Member
Mar 8, 2022
Who do you think deserve the Best Egg Layer Award? I've listed some of the more well known breeds and would love to hear your input and personal experience! I'm considering expanding my flock in the spring and am looking for super layers. Top 5 make the pick 😝

Best for a short period of time, like firsr 2-3 years? Or best over their lifetime, upwards to 10 years? If you aren’t planning to cull, and are keeping them until they die, my choice would be different than if you are going to cull every 2-3 years and start over.

My Maran and her Maran x Faverolle daughter have been my absolute best layers so far. I get 1-2 beautiful chocolate brown eggs daily from them whether it has been 110F or -12F with -50F wind chills. My Sussex comes in second and my Cochin Bantams have been a pleasant surprise also laying through sub-zero weather. I just got them last spring though so I do not know how they lay in the heat, but even if they stick to cold weather laying i'm fine with that.

77ju6e.gif

Last edited:
I agree🤣! Leghorns make gorgeous large eggs, and IMO with a little calcium supplementation after the age of 2-4 they will keep laying consistently for quite some time
I'm definitely interested in some leghorns👀 Just curious as to what y'all think of the other birds up on the board!

As far as overall egg production and quality White Leghorns are easily the top.
For brown egg production, the commercial layers Red Stars, ISA Browns etc would be the best.
My pick for noncommercial brown egg layer, I’m going to say that New Hampshires are the best kept secret in the chicken world. They may not lay quite as many as a RIR but they lay consistent and large good quality eggs, even through the winter, though naturally they do slow down during that time.

Back
Top Bottom