Best feed for laying chickens?

Warband

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2016
Virginia
Hello everyone,

Yeah this question has been asked alot, but I want to ask it anyways.

Currently, I have ISA browns, they are about 6-8 weeks old. I was feeding them the Dumar grower/starter mix, however I saw some comments about how they make coops stink, as well as the fact that its more expensive. I'd like to know a few things.

What brand do you suggest for ISA Browns?
Can they go onto a grower finisher now even though they are about 2 weeks shy of 10 weeks?
What can be supplemented into their feed other then grit, to off set cost? (currently, have 90% chicken feed, 6% wild bird seed, 4% grit)
How much feed suggested per bird?

These teenagers are non organic, non-slaughter, Let out a few times a day from a tiny coop and run.

We have Tractor Supply, Southern States, and True Value as feed store options. I will not be giving the birds any meat substances in the poultry kingdom.

I'd like to really take care of my birds. I feel bad for all there relatives in the egg industry, and I want to bring as much quality into their lives as I can. My babies are more like pets. However, I don't think expensive feeds are always the best.

Thanks in advance!

It wouldn't hurt to keep them on starter for another month or two.

People have different definitions of "best". One rule that always apply is mill date. Each bag has a stamped date of when the feed was milled. The fresher the better, other wise vitamins start to break down. I personally won't buy it if it is older than 3 months. Some people are able to get feed that is only a week or two old, I can't get it that fresh here. You also want to store the feed in the coolest, darkest and DRIEST location you can find for maximum nutrition.

Sorry, I don't know about Dumar specifically.

Fresh is most important! I feed all my birds Purina Flock Raiser, with oyster shell on the side for the laying hens. You need to see what's available fresh at your local feed stores, and then decide. The cheapest feed is probably the worst choice, and really, good food pays off. I do offer some scratch grains as treats, and my flock free ranges on a few acres of pasture and wood lot when there's no snow on the ground. Chick starter is fine, so is an all- flock feed like Flock Raiser, and layer feed when most of the pullets are actually laying eggs. Still have oyster shell available; your hybrid layers will need a very balanced diet and oyster shell to cope with their egg production. Mary

Back
Top Bottom