Best Guess as to Breed?

Could you post a picture of her looking normal? Other than whatever that black/crusty looking stuff is near her eye, I can't tell that she's sickly. But, I don't know what she looked like before either :)
Nikki

I am new to this forum, and I think I am supposed to put my "what breed is she here". If I am wrong, please let me know. I have a hen that I am not sure what she is. She might be mixed breed although I did not buy any mixed breed chickens at the time. She has tufts on her checks and is tan and white. Nice chicky, just not sure what she is. I have 2 more chickens I am unsure about also, but I don't want to bombard this forum if I am in the wrong spot. hahahah any help is appreciated. Jenn P.S. Don't mind the bike tire, I was taking pics for Ebay at the time. hahahahah

I am new to this forum, and I think I am supposed to put my "what breed is she here". If I am wrong, please let me know. I have a hen that I am not sure what she is. She might be mixed breed although I did not buy any mixed breed chickens at the time. She has tufts on her checks and is tan and white. Nice chicky, just not sure what she is. I have 2 more chickens I am unsure about also, but I don't want to bombard this forum if I am in the wrong spot. hahahah any help is appreciated. Jenn P.S. Don't mind the bike tire, I was taking pics for Ebay at the time. hahahahah I would sa y salmon faverolle pullet!

Nikki,

Here is a photo of my girls when they were a little over a year old. Easter died almost 5 months later. Do you think they look too fat? They were Barred Rocks: Let's see. One has white legs; the other has yellow legs. White legs are the sign of a layer; right? So that must be Esther, and Easter (the one who died) with the yellow eggs, is in the foreground.

200x200px-ZC-66680411_84553_dsc00742.jpeg

Nikki,

Someone just e-mailed that she thinks she sees signs of white leghorn in my boy. She noted his high, pointy comb tips (now blackened, sadly, with frostbite) and his white tail feathers. She said he is beefier than her white leghorn roos, but she attributes this to his Mama's hefty Orpingtonness.

I just remembered I can't hatch eggs, because roosters are just too hard to find good homes for, and there is always the chance of getting roosters in the hatch. And my rooster wouldn't put up with other roosters.

But I could buy a grown lemon blue or a blue orpington, just for fun, if such are available to buy. Do you know of anyone who sells them? I'd get a chick, but I'm afraid it would be a little too hard to raise with the hens around, and if I raised it inside, my SO would get mad.

I am new to this forum, and I think I am supposed to put my "what breed is she here". If I am wrong, please let me know. I have a hen that I am not sure what she is. She might be mixed breed although I did not buy any mixed breed chickens at the time. She has tufts on her checks and is tan and white. Nice chicky, just not sure what she is. I have 2 more chickens I am unsure about also, but I don't want to bombard this forum if I am in the wrong spot. hahahah any help is appreciated. Jenn P.S. Don't mind the bike tire, I was taking pics for Ebay at the time. hahahahah

Hi and welcome to BYC!

At the top of this page, under the title "Best guess as to breed" is a button marked start a new thread. If you hit that, you have your own thread in this section for folks to comment on your bird. Way less confusing that way, everyone knows which bird is being called what!

Your pretty little girl is an easter egger. She may well have been sold to you as an ameraucana or aracauna. Basically, she's a nice mix of different things that make hens who have a high chance of laying green or blue eggs. They can come in lots of different colors. She's not a faverolle, they are a different color and have feathered legs.

Last edited:
Nope, not a Salmon Favorelles, they have feathered legs. With those green legs and feet she's most likely an Easter Egger, and she'll probably lay you some nice green eggs ;) Nikki

Nikki,

Someone just e-mailed that she thinks she sees signs of white leghorn in my boy.  She noted his high,  pointy comb tips (now blackened, sadly, with frostbite) and his white tail feathers.  She said he is beefier than her white leghorn roos, but she attributes this to his Mama's hefty Orpingtonness.

I just remembered I can't hatch eggs, because roosters are just too hard to find good homes for, and there is always the chance of getting roosters in the hatch.  And my rooster wouldn't put up with other roosters.

But I could buy a grown lemon blue or a blue orpington, just for fun, if such are available to buy.  Do you know of anyone who sells them?  I'd get a chick, but I'm afraid it would be a little too hard to raise with the hens around, and if I raised it inside, my SO would get mad.

I just went back to the first page and looked at his picture again. I can really only see one tail feather, and that feather has blue running thru the feather shaft. So his tail isn't white, its blue (or splash). My Orp boys had big combs as well, some of my hens had some good sized combs too. Put a little vaseline on his comb. It'll help keep the moisture and wind from biting his exposed bits. Put it on his wattles too.
I've not seen anyone with lemon blue Orps. Lemon blue Cochins would probably be much easier to find. If you check out the LF Cochin thread, there's a BYC member who breeds them. They may be willing to ship you a couple of pullets if you aren't close. Blue Orp hens would be a good option too.
You can brood outside. I do it quite a bit. If you have an outside hutch, wrap it in a shower cursing or something that'll prevent drafts. The last time I was brooding outside was in Feb. It was snowing then, my chicks had a 100 watt bulb and were just fine ;)
Nikki

Oh, and by the way, when you have an interesting color roosters usually aren't hard to find homes for. Or, you can sell them as eating birds, since they're big guys. Or eat them yourself, which is what I do with extra boys. Your home grown chickens will be the best chicken you've ever tasted. It'll put KFCs mushy, tasteless "chicken" to shame!
Nikki

Back
Top Bottom