Best laying breeds?

EngeFamilyFarms

Chirping
Aug 29, 2018
Michigan
Hey everyone, we are looking to add to our flock. I want a couple different colored Eggers to add to our one Americana left. My main priority is to add breeds that are great layers.

In your opinion, what breeds can we get that lay the most eggs? Thanks for the help!

Red sex links- I have two and they haven’t missed a day.
Easter Eggers- lay well and lay colored eggs.
Australorp- I have one who has yet to lay but my dads lay almost everyday.
Buff Orpington- good winter layer, heavy bread and a docile chicken.
Cream Legbars- blue layer, decent layer.
Marans- dark chocolatey eggs, decent layers.

I have an EE along with 5 other different popular brown egg layer breeds.

I am adding this spring :
Austra White (supposedly docile like an Australorp with the production of a Leghorn, cream or off white eggs)

Golden Buff (a golden sex link, sold under a variety of strain brands such as Golden Comet, Cinnamon Queen, etc... the highest production brown egg layer there is)

And a Dominique , which will match up with the coloring of my Barred Rock but with a rose comb.

Between a couple of EEs or Olive Eggers, an Austra White and some high productive brown layers (hatchery birds) you could have a real productive and colorful egg basket.

If you are wanting good layers I would recommend white leghorns and black australorps. Rhode Island reds and sexlinks are very good, but the others are my favorite. For doscile, more quiet breeds, I would highly recommend black Australorps and buff orpingtons.

I have Barred Rocks & Australorps [5 birds] & have got 4~5 eggs every day since they came on the lay. The Rocks are laying better than the Aussies.

I have had many chickens for many years. I have had many types. Here are some egg layers I’ve had the most eggs out of these.

Barred rock: These don’t miss a day of laying, they even will commonly lay 2 eggs a day.
Orpington: Just like a barred rock, they never miss a day. I have had 3 orpingtons.
Cornish Cross: These are usually not for eggs, but I have 1 that I love lots. They lay big eggs, mine are as big as duck eggs, they are very heavy, but also very loving.
Golden Comet: I have 1 golden comet, it’s so sweet and lays many eggs. They are beautiful chickens.
Rhode Island Red: They usually lay 1 egg a day. They can be super beautiful.

I hope this helps you out. These are my 5 favorites.:wee

I have had many chickens for many years. I have had many types. Here are some egg layers I’ve had the most eggs out of these.

Barred rock: These don’t miss a day of laying, they even will commonly lay 2 eggs a day.
Orpington: Just like a barred rock, they never miss a day. I have had 3 orpingtons.
Cornish Cross: These are usually not for eggs, but I have 1 that I love lots. They lay big eggs, mine are as big as duck eggs, they are very heavy, but also very loving.
Golden Comet: I have 1 golden comet, it’s so sweet and lays many eggs. They are beautiful chickens.
Rhode Island Red: They usually lay 1 egg a day. They can be super beautiful.

I hope this helps you out. These are my 5 favorites.:wee
2 eggs a day? I thought this was physically impossible?

Back
Top Bottom