Best lifespan for Quail?

Chockensforever

Hatching
Mar 4, 2022
Hi there!
I am thinking of getting some male quail purely for keeping as pets. I wondered which quail species has the best lifespan? Or if they tend to all live about the same?
Thanks for any info!

Having trouble finding details on their expected lifespans, but the article below kinda suggests against the Bobwhites with their "20 percent survival rate past their first year"
https://petkeen.com/how-long-do-quail-live/

Out of curiosity, why just males? I've never ran an all-male flock personally, but I would a lot of fighting.

Having trouble finding details on their expected lifespans, but the article below kinda suggests against the Bobwhites with their "20 percent survival rate past their first year"
https://petkeen.com/how-long-do-quail-live/

Out of curiosity, why just males? I've never ran an all-male flock personally, but I would a lot of fighting.
Mainly because females can get sick a lot due to the fact they lay quiet often, I’ve seen a few small male flocks before do ok as long as they are well attended too.

Mainly because females can get sick a lot due to the fact they lay quiet often, I’ve seen a few small male flocks before do ok as long as they are well attended too.
Quail are different from chickens, they don’t seem to suffer the health issues chickens do as they age. However, generally speaking males do tend to live longer due to the toll laying takes, but if you factor in the higher likelihood of them randomly deciding to fight to the death, you probably get a similar average lifespan. I do keep a male jail year round, and I do my best to keep them dark and away from hens, but sometimes they do have a fight and someone ends up recovering inside in a hospital cage, and someone ends up in the freezer. A lone male will probably live the longest, but would be extremely unhappy without friends. Someone on here had a very old boy, maybe 5-6 and he lived with a pigeon as his mate, but many won’t accept a different species.

I believe in general that new world quail, bobwhites, gambels, etc, generally live longer than old world quail, I’ve heard people claim they’ve had new world males live as long as 8 years, but I have no first hand experience.

If you want to keep them indoors I would strongly recommend buttons due to their small size, and less dust, plus a happy pair or group don’t make many loud noises, just some happy chirps here and there.

Quail are different from chickens, they don’t seem to suffer the health issues chickens do as they age. However, generally speaking males do tend to live longer due to the toll laying takes, but if you factor in the higher likelihood of them randomly deciding to fight to the death, you probably get a similar average lifespan. I do keep a male jail year round, and I do my best to keep them dark and away from hens, but sometimes they do have a fight and someone ends up recovering inside in a hospital cage, and someone ends up in the freezer. A lone male will probably live the longest, but would be extremely unhappy without friends. Someone on here had a very old boy, maybe 5-6 and he lived with a pigeon as his mate, but many won’t accept a different species.

I believe in general that new world quail, bobwhites, gambels, etc, generally live longer than old world quail, I’ve heard people claim they’ve had new world males live as long as 8 years, but I have no first hand experience.

If you want to keep them indoors I would strongly recommend buttons due to their small size, and less dust, plus a happy pair or group don’t make many loud noises, just some happy chirps here and there.
Awesome, thanks for all the info

new wold since they are less domesticated their genes are stronger. its kinda like how muscovy ducks are stronger/resistant than mallard types.

myshire quial farm has a ton of video for coturnix quail. If you go to their youtube channel and watch their series on color he tells you the average life span on each color. From memory the standard pharaoh's typically live the longest at around 2 years with the rare colors being in the year and a half range.

Back
Top Bottom