Best material on coop floor

hjclod04

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
We have been using pine shavings on the wooden coop floor, but are thinking there may be a better option. I have heard some people use sand, but was curious how that has worked for you. If you have other cost effective ideas that work for you, I am open to those as well. The cost of pine shavings start to add up. I want to make sure I'm not inviting in pests/bugs as well. Thanks in advance for your info!

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
We have been using pine shavings on the wooden coop floor, but are thinking there may be a better option. I have heard some people use sand, but was curious how that has worked for you. If you have other cost effective ideas that work for you, I am open to those as well. The cost of pine shavings start to add up. I want to make sure I'm not inviting in pests/bugs as well. Thanks in advance for your info!
I save a lot on coop bedding by using poop boards. I clean them each morning by sifting with a cat litter scoop into an old cat litter container. When full, it is dumped in my compost pile.
I only clean the coop floor bedding out once a year.

3KillerBs

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I tried both shavings and straw for the deep bedding in the coop and liked the shavings better. I had to clean the straw out after only 6 weeks but the shavings lasted 8-12 weeks depending on the weather.

Out in the run, for the deep litter, I used a mix of materials.

5.3acredream

Songster
Feb 8, 2018
South Jersey
Santicare bedding!!!! 10000000x over. I change it 2x a year. I don't do deep litter. It is very fine, like sand, dries hella fast ,nondusty, and a freaking breeze to sift. I cannot tell you to use it more fervently. https://www.sani-care.com/

I actually have a post from when I switched.

Top Bottom