Best material on coop floor

hjclod04

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
We have been using pine shavings on the wooden coop floor, but are thinking there may be a better option. I have heard some people use sand, but was curious how that has worked for you. If you have other cost effective ideas that work for you, I am open to those as well. The cost of pine shavings start to add up. I want to make sure I'm not inviting in pests/bugs as well. Thanks in advance for your info!

We have been using pine shavings on the wooden coop floor, but are thinking there may be a better option. I have heard some people use sand, but was curious how that has worked for you. If you have other cost effective ideas that work for you, I am open to those as well. The cost of pine shavings start to add up. I want to make sure I'm not inviting in pests/bugs as well. Thanks in advance for your info!
I save a lot on coop bedding by using poop boards. I clean them each morning by sifting with a cat litter scoop into an old cat litter container. When full, it is dumped in my compost pile.
I only clean the coop floor bedding out once a year.

I tried both shavings and straw for the deep bedding in the coop and liked the shavings better. I had to clean the straw out after only 6 weeks but the shavings lasted 8-12 weeks depending on the weather.

Out in the run, for the deep litter, I used a mix of materials.

Santicare bedding!!!! 10000000x over. I change it 2x a year. I don't do deep litter. It is very fine, like sand, dries hella fast ,nondusty, and a freaking breeze to sift. I cannot tell you to use it more fervently. https://www.sani-care.com/

I actually have a post from when I switched.

Back
Top Bottom