AlexandraF

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2021
Looking for tips to breed olive Eggers with the most pigmented green possible. Looking to produce the greenest eggs

I was thinking of using BBS Ameraucana hens and a Marans rooster or vice versa - opinions on this please

Can I get the greenest eggs in an F1 cross?

What shade of brown produces the greenest eggs? (Maybe reference number on Marans card)

Any other info please!

Looking for tips to breed olive Eggers with the most pigmented green possible. Looking to produce the greenest eggs

I was thinking of using BBS Ameraucana hens and a Marans rooster or vice versa - opinions on this please

What shade of brown produces the greenest eggs? (Maybe reference number on Marans card)

Any other info please!
I am not sure if the f1 cross has the greenest egg, but though f1 eggs are dark, f2 eggs are darker. And yes, the best chickens to use for olive eggers are marans or welsummers. I am not sure of your variety of marans rooster, but I am assuming black or black copper.
Black+black=100% black. Black+blue= 50% blue, 50% black. Black+splash= 100% blue. If you are using a black copper marans the offspring may or may not have a little copper coloring as well. I hope I have answered your questions good enough, and if not sorry!

Any other info please!
Many of the Maran dark egg genes are sex linked, so I suggest doing the Maran rooster over a blue/green egger, that way you will get the best possible outcome

Also, is it better to have a dark brown egg with that reddish tinge m
I am not sure if the f1 cross has the greenest egg, but though f1 eggs are dark, f2 eggs are darker. And yes, the best chickens to use for olive eggers are marans or welsummers. I am not sure of your variety of marans rooster, but I am assuming black or black copper.
Black+black=100% black. Black+blue= 50% blue, 50% black. Black+splash= 100% blue. If you are using a black copper marans the offspring may or may not have a little copper coloring as well. I hope I have answered your questions good enough, and if not sorry!
Thank you! I’m actually in search of a breeder to buy hatching eggs from in hopes to get a rooster with dark egg gene. Wondering how dark I should be searching for. Also why is it better to have a Marans roo over a blue egg laying hen and not the other way around? Thanks again!

Many of the Maran dark egg genes are sex linked, so I suggest doing the Maran rooster over a blue/green egger, that way you will get the best possible outcome
Do you know what shade eggs I should be looking for? Also I know some Marans eggs have more of a reddish tint to them is this more desirable for producing olive eggers or more of a dark brown is better? Thx!

Back
Top Bottom