Best pigeon food?

SniperGoose

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 15, 2018
Central PA
I have a female pigeon (around 4 or 5 months old now I'd say), whom I rescued when she was around 2 weeks old. She was originally wild, but had fallen out of her nest in our barn, and I was unable to put her back in it as it was too high up. Anyways, I was wondering what the best food was to be feeding her?

Currently she eats this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6Z59EV/?tag=backy-20

But it's not all that cheap for the amount you get, and she doesn't eat absolutely everything in it. So I was wondering what you all feed your pigeons? Thanks in advance!

But it's not all that cheap for the amount you get, and she doesn't eat absolutely everything in it.
That certainly is quite pricey for 5 pounds. Qwerty uses something similar to what I used to buy at the Feed Store. 25 pounds for about $24. I have given my pigeons wild bird seeds, and they ate it well, and stayed healthy as well. 40 pounds for $14.
There are pigeon fanciers that feed their pigeons special diets. They race them, and need them to be Marathon Winner Shape. It gets complicated at times.
I think for your pet rescued pigeon, any combination of seeds would be fine. Hopefully you also offer grit of some sort. They need it to grind the seeds in their gizzard, just like chickens.

There is alot of different feeds to give pigeons. Like caveman said it can get complicated. I buy two different feeds and mix them to my own requirement. Too much of one thing they get fat, too little of something else they have no energy. It's all about balancing it out. The basis for my feed is a conditioner. No matter what else they have ithelps keep them in top top shape. For a pet pigeon a corn based feed with maple peas and maize should be perfectly fine. They do tend to eat there favourite bits first and leave everything else but if they're hungry it all goes!

I am not an expert by any means, but, I feed my pigeon the following:
Wild bird seed mix
Black oil sunflower seeds
Green split Peas (He really likes those)
Lentles

I just mix it all up and give him a scoop, sometimes he goes crazy for certain seeds, other times he wants something else.

1 spoiled rotten semi-feral pigeon,,,,,,, sent me an email. Told me to suggest to @Kusanar to get him a friend:hit
He has friends, the weirdo has befriended the feral cats... (no worries, they can't get to him, he's in a fully enclosed pen). I need to find him something that doesn't fly to be a bird friend for him as he's nearly flightless and can't be released at all.

Back
Top Bottom