Best Place To Put Coop Thermometer?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by corliss, Oct 6, 2010.

1. corliss

corliss Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2010
    I just purchased a combination thermometer/humidity gauge and am wondering if it should go at the mid-point inside the coop or higher or lower? I have venting close to the roof line on all four sides (above the roost) but would it be better to measure near the floor?

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    If I had one I'd probably put it at roost height.

3. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I just bought one too. I'm going to put it at roost height, since that's where they are at night.

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I have 2 one by the entry door to the coop outside and one inside at roost height out of pecking distance.

5. garyat1965

garyat1965 New Egg

Sep 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Hi! I have a follow-up question -- I also recently purchased the same thermometer/humidity gauge and am wondering if there is a recommended range to stay within on the humidity side of the gauge. I've seen the humidity in my coop at night range from about 55% to 72%, and I have 25 standard size chickens in a 8x12 coop with 8 ft walls and ventilation at the eaves plus a roof vent. What humidity levels should I expect this winter?

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine's at roost height too, gives you the best idea of the temps the birds are exposed to, when quiet.

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I have my gauge at roost level.

As far as humidity goes, I have another gauge outdoors, and what I want to see is that the humidity in the coop is not any higher than the humidity outdoors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by