Best way to peel boiled eggs?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by FuzzyFarms, Jan 19, 2009.

1. FuzzyFarms

FuzzyFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Central Texas
    As I was peeling 18 eggs tonight...some chicken, others turkey, and one duck egg, I was thinking about the most efficient way to do it. I tried "shocking" them in cold water first, others I almost burnt my hand as I tried to peel them as fast as I could (per hubby's suggestion) and then some I just let cool naturally. As soon as I get a theory, wham! it's ugly eggs.

I will say this, that chicken eggs are easier than the others, but I was curious to know if I'm missing any "tricks of the trade."

How do yall do it?

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    never boil fresh eggs, i let them sit on the counter for 3-4 days, then boil them, it is much easier. [​IMG]

3. roosty

roosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Georgia
    I let the water come to a full boil then put the eggs in. Set the timer for 12 min. Take them out and run cold water over them for a couple of min. Crack the egg on the counter and roll it pushing down just a bit till cracked all the way around. Then peel. Mine always peel perfect. Just the way I do it [​IMG]

4. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I put hot water and eggs into the pot, boil it on a low boil. I never time it, sometimes it's on for 15 minutes or so, others it's on for half an hour. I then drain the boiled water, wait a minute, and pour hot water into the pot from the tap, and then slowly take it down to cold water (to prevent from denting my pot). Takes about 2 minutes at most. Then I hurry up and peel them. If you're boiling a LOT of eggs, then use a seperate pot of COLD water and dunk a few boiled eggs into there, then peel only a few at a time, then do more. If you put too many in the cold water at a time and don't peel them fast enough, you'll end up with ugly eggs.

5. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I boil them forever then dunk then in ICE cubes in water. allot of folks say they dont like the eggs to turn green I say who cares cause they are gunna get mooshed up to devil (or just frum chewin!). been a while since I boiled eggies!!!! HUN I may haveta soon!!!

6. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Only fool-proof way I've found is to put eggs in cold water, bring to a boil, turn off heat and allow them to cool in the same water. Works every time. Like brooster said, never use fresh eggs, let them age a few days. I let mine "age" in the fridge, not on the counter.

7. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Poke a small hole the large end of them with a push pin before dropping in boiling water. Boil 10 min, let sit 15 min in hot water, then chill. They peel easily, and come out nice & smooth.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  8. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    Rte.66_chicks :

Prick the large end of them with a push pin before dropping in boiling water. Boil 10 min, let sit 15 min in hot water, then chill. They peel easily, and come out nice & smooth.

This works evey time, on "EE" and on "just took them from the hens" eggs. It's kind hard to do at first, you think you will break the egg. But just try it. I even took a sharp knife and CAREFULLY poked a hole in it not breaking the skin just the shell. SO easy to peel!! Do the times pretty exact.​

9. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Poke a hole in the big end of the egg, and remember to put lots of salt in the water. It seems to separate the egg membrane from the shell.

Good Luck

Rufus

10. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by