Bielefelder x ?

SBFChickenGirl

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2018
I just got a whole bunch of Bielefelder chicks. The breed is autosexing. So I was wondering if I could mix these roosters with any non barred hen, and get autosexing chicks. Would that work?

No that wouldn't produce sex links like you're thinking.
Crossed with certain silver based hens you could get some sex links based on the silver vs gold sex linked genes.

No that wouldn't produce sex links like you're thinking.
Crossed with certain silver based hens you could get some sex links based on the silver vs gold sex linked genes.
Thanks for the reply! What kind of hens would be a good example? Anything silver laced?

No. You could get sexlinks by crossing the hens with any non-barred rooster, however.
They wouldn’t breed true.
Or you could get sexlinks like Moonshiner said, breeding the roosters with silver Leghorns, light Sussex, silver spangled Hamburgs, anything silver based etc.

I just got a whole bunch of Bielefelder chicks. The breed is autosexing. So I was wondering if I could mix these roosters with any non barred hen, and get autosexing chicks. Would that work?
You should be able mix the Bielefelder hens with non barred roosters and get sex linked (not auto sexing) chicks at hatch with makes getting a white spot on their head.

I also got Bielefelder chicks this month with more coming from another supplier next month. I'm very impressed so far! :woot

Happy adventures! :wee

so, if I crossed a RIR rooster over Bielefelder hens, this would be sex linked? what do the chicks look like at hatching? and older?

Muffin

My guess is you would get something like a rhodebar but it will take multiple generations of breeding back and forth. Not much science to my answer (what is multiple generations) but I don't think you would get barred chicksfrom the first breeding. I think based off of how they receive different copies of different genes you would need 3 generations to get a red barred roo. I'm sure I'm not 100% correct.

so, if I crossed a RIR rooster over Bielefelder hens, this would be sex linked? what do the chicks look like at hatching? and older?
they Will be sex linked, but the issue is that these F1s can't be tell apart fue to them being e+/eWh. A few Rhodebar breeders hace crossed RB with RIR but the F1s could not ve sexed at hatch. They just looked like e+/eWh intermediate.

Here is a link of My observations on the chick down of F1

www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=113346&ved=2ahUKEwio-YnmsrLpAhWQMd8KHWloAcMQFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw0lc57ZIRr3k14p4qGHmp7X

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom