Big chunk of feathers gone from Astralorp's tail

estersfeathers

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 9, 2010
I'd been noticing for a while that my Astralorp had some tail feathers that appear to have broken off about 2 inches down, but it wasn't until I went in the coop the other night and saw for the first time her tail fanned out that I realized there is a big half circular chunk of feather missing. I now can't get her to perch in exactly the same way to catch a photo, but just from this, does anyone have any ideas what this might be?

Do you have a broody in your flock -- or a hen that's going broody?
wink.png

Broodies are KNOWN for getting aggressive with the rest of the flock; it's preparation for bringing her babies into the flock. Like, "Don't even think about messing with me!" Even a mild-mannered hen when going broody will become aggressive with the rest.

I speak from recent experience... having my little EE lose well over 1/2 her hackle feathers to another hen who, I finally figured out, was going broody.

Last edited:
No, no broodies. I have 3 hens - two are semi-retired (she's one of them) and the other is barely a year old and showing no signs of broodiness. I didn't mention how uniformly chomped the feathers look to be. It's like a giant took a bite out of her tail. If Astralorps didn't have such full tails, I would have noticed this sooner.

Back
Top Bottom