Lavender Marans cockerel not roosting -- painful foot feathering?

woodruffles

In the Brooder
May 15, 2023
We have a 16 week old Lavender Marans cockerel who likes to start his evening on the roost, but I popped out last night and confirmed that he sometimes (often?) switches to the bedding. He is a bird we've mistaken for dead a few times because he likes to lay down on his side and sleeps deeply 🤣 He lies down a lot and prefers it to standing. He loves to lounge around and make contented trilling sounds. And while he will go about his business, pecking and scratching, he takes rests more often than the others (again, with the adorable happy sounds). Recently, we had to clean the feathers around his vent as a result of (we assume) the lying in one spot at night and pooping on himself instead of roosting. And today, when I checked his butt in the morning, he's again going to need a cleaning as he decided to lounge all night instead of roosting. He can get up to the roosting bar no problem.

Our current theory is that the feathers coming in on his feet are causing him pain. He is our slowest feathering LM by far, and the trio we hatched have all been slow feathering. This cockerel, however, is slowest. We've noticed that his feet often look irritated/painful -- no signs of mites, though.

Any insights? Has anyone else experienced this before with slow-feathering birds with feathered feet? We are brand new chicken-keepers and are looking to understand what's going on.

At this point, we're not planning on keeping him, although he has a great temperament and will be a beautiful bird. But we've been debating rehoming him with someone who has an Olive Egger program who might like his brown egg gene. I'd love some advice and thoughts!

First photo is our cockerel "resting" on a manure fork. Second one was taken far away, but you can see his feathered feet. I can take more up-close photos today when we nab him to clean his butt. (And as if all of this wasn't enough, his 'sister' has very obvious wry tail and we think he may be on the way too... Not exactly what we'd call quality genetic stock! Nice fella though 😉)

IMG_3536.jpg
IMG_3629.jpg

Can you post some close up pictures of his poop and his feet?

He might be suffering from worms and/or coccidia leaving him tired and unmotivated ad they would rob him of essential nutrients/vitamins. This could also explain the very slow feather growth.

How long has this been going on?
Could you get pictures of your coop?
He’s always been more prone to lie down than stand — I was looking through photos and even in the earliest days of getting him outside, he wanted to lie down. It’s definitely more pronounced now, though!

We use sanded 2x3s for roosting bars. Here’s a photo:

D035948B-C3CF-4634-B5F4-C6B92936988C.jpeg

He slept near the log in the lower left corner. We left the door open (the run is secure), so I wonder if it could be a temperature control issue, as he also shows signs of being warm much earlier than any of the others.

Can you post some close up pictures of his poop and his feet?

He might be suffering from worms and/or coccidia leaving him tired and unmotivated ad they would rob him of essential nutrients/vitamins. This could also explain the very slow feather
Caveat for the poop photo: there is a mild respiratory issue going through the flock at the moment, so that is in play — but I’ll share anyway and you can let me know what you notice. He helpfully pooped right in front of me, so this is about 20 seconds after… expulsion. It looks greener in the photo than it did in real life. The flock has been drinking quite a bit of water with electrolytes due to the temperature and their illness — the cockerel’s issues outdate this bug.

A0C426D0-B523-4DAE-ACF5-4060DA9070C7.jpeg

A quick shot of his feet and also how he stands. Looks somewhat splay legged to us, and he walks differently than the others. Definitely more awkward!

BA9B992B-49D4-44C7-ACD4-C303C994FBED.jpeg

36A772DF-1A6B-4829-B462-52C36D56C7A5.jpeg

Thanks so much for the questions and your input. As I said, we’re brand new — and while this fella isn’t a contender for keeping, we want to be able to identify root causes of issues we encounter in the future. Is this just a weak bird? Or is there a fix we’re missing?

He’s always been more prone to lie down than stand — I was looking through photos and even in the earliest days of getting him outside, he wanted to lie down. It’s definitely more pronounced now, though!

We use sanded 2x3s for roosting bars. Here’s a photo:

View attachment 3616793

He slept near the log in the lower left corner. We left the door open (the run is secure), so I wonder if it could be a temperature control issue, as he also shows signs of being warm much earlier than any of the others.
Maybe he's got vitamin deficiencies or something...

Caveat for the poop photo: there is a mild respiratory issue going through the flock at the moment, so that is in play — but I’ll share anyway and you can let me know what you notice. He helpfully pooped right in front of me, so this is about 20 seconds after… expulsion. It looks greener in the photo than it did in real life. The flock has been drinking quite a bit of water with electrolytes due to the temperature and their illness — the cockerel’s issues outdate this bug.

View attachment 3616803

A quick shot of his feet and also how he stands. Looks somewhat splay legged to us, and he walks differently than the others. Definitely more awkward!

View attachment 3616807
View attachment 3616809

Thanks so much for the questions and your input. As I said, we’re brand new — and while this fella isn’t a contender for keeping, we want to be able to identify root causes of issues we encounter in the future. Is this just a weak bird? Or is there a fix we’re missing?
How long have you had him?

How long have you had him?
We hatched him at the end of April. I do wonder if the line he’s from is just questionable… The three we hatched were noticeably slower in their development than the others (Dorkings & Buff Orpingtons). One of the pullets has wry tail, so there are clearly some genes at play that could have been bred out!

We hatched him at the end of April. I do wonder if the line he’s from is just questionable… The three we hatched were noticeably slower in their development than the others (Dorkings & Buff Orpingtons). One of the pullets has wry tail, so there are clearly some genes at play that could have been bred out!
Did you notice at all if his legs were weird after hatching?
I think it's probably something genetic that happened to his legs.

Did you notice at all if his legs were weird after hatching?
I think it's probably something genetic that happened to his legs.
Thanks for the insight! We didn’t notice anything when he hatched, but it’s totally possible someone else would have. It was our first time with chicks, so I didn’t really have a firm grasp on what to look for besides “alert, eating, pooping” 😆 We did notice they the LMs were really slow to grow their feathers — it was a marked difference! That does make me suspect there’s a genetic factor at play.

Back
Top Bottom