Big headed chicken

Kath livingstone

Hatching
Sep 20, 2018
My little brown hybrid is 20 weeks old she has big head syndrome. Her sinuses mandible space and cheeks are swollen. Though she has no discharge from eyes or nose but she is struggling to breathe properly. I took her to vet 2 weeks ago and was given penicillin antibiotics. They worked initially, she is now on amoxinsol. And is going down hill.
I thought of putting tiger balm on her beak to try to clear airway..im now thinking steam. But I think she has pneumonia. Vets can't do anything..so I'm looking for advice she was bright and chirpy 2 days ago but now my little Florrie is carrying her head low sleeping fully stretched out...and her little comb is turning black at the top...please advise.

Silkiemother thank you. Just had a look in my large herb cupboard..i have every other sort but i don't have any oregano...grrrr...but I'll get some tomorrow

Penicillin and amoxicillin will not treat respiratory diseases in chickens if they are caused by mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG, CRD,) due to mycoplasma not having a cell wall. Either ask your vet to prescribe some Baytril or Tylan soluble powder to add to water. If you can’t do that get Tylan 50 injectable, plus some 3 ml suringes with 18 to 20 gauge needles. Give 0.3 ml per pound 2-3 times daily for 5 days.

Does the pullet have a bad odor? Coryza can smell really rotten. If the vet suspected coryza, then sulfa antibiotics such as bactrim or SMZ-TMP can help symptoms.

There also is something called swollen head syndrome that can be caused by a virus, but that is quite rare. An insect, tick, or spider bite could also cause swelling. It would be good if you could post a picture. Have you ever had any illness in your flock before, or have there been any new additions to your flock recently.

Back
Top Bottom