Birds have stopped laying, what the flock?!

Blackout

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 21, 2013
Ohio
None have laid in probably 3 weeks.

We recently moved the last week of August. They were free ranging but are now penned in a 20 x 20 area. That's the only difference and while I expected some time to adjust, now I'm concerned and confused. They're eating we'll, layer crumble which they prefer to pellets, and fruits and vegetables.

I have seen quite a few feathers, is it possible for them all to molt at the same time? The turkey is for sure molting.

I apologize, much of this is still new to me, just frustrated that we have 14 hens And none are laying and haven't laid in what seems like quite a long time.

Heck, I had to buy eggs at the grocery this morning! lol!

Again, thank you in advance!

The stress of the move might have caused them to stop laying (anything out of the ordinary can cause a chicken to stop laying). Or, they could be feeling the affects of shorter daylight hours. Once the amount of light per day drops below fourteen hours, most hens will slow down or stop laying. This is the time of year for molting, so that's a likely reason. It could be a combination of all three reasons.

Changes are stressful and stop production. A move will do that.
This is also the season to start molting.
I currently have 21 layers and about 3 egg a day (with no stressors). It seems like almost all are molting.
More protein will help them put on feathers quicker. After the molt you can add a few hours of light to start them up again.

My wife threatened to buy eggs the other day. I said, "we'll just do without".
Haven't bought eggs in years.

It doesn't help that I've been putting a lot of eggs in the incubator so no stockpile to draw from.

Decreasing daylight will slow egg production,but it is unusual to have all hens stop laying at once. My guess is either the hens are hiding their eggs or you have a bunch of egg eating hens. Of course the stress of moving could cause some concern and slow production, but rarely will you have a complete shutdown. Lack of proper nutrition could cause a decrease of egg production. Evaluate your flock for external and internal parasites) and their diet.

If all is well you should see eggs at some point.

Back
Top Bottom