Birdwatching Chat Thread

Pics
This is a great time of year around here for birdwatchers. Yesterday the woods were loaded with warblers and all kinds of other bright colorful birds. They're all nesting, singing, and defending their territory so a bit easier to see. I saw tons of orioles, tanagers, warblers, and flycatchers-most of whom I could ID but some I've never seen before. I saw a Great Crested Flycatcher for the first time and heard the Eastern Wood Pewees finally this spring with their distinctive whistle-back from the tropics. Oh, and I got a video of an oriole building a nest waaay up in the top of a sycamore tree!
I had a similar morning!!

Forgot the turkeys... These aren't great pictures, especially the last one, but I was riding shotgun (no pun intended lol) and the big tom was strutting for his hen right next to the road.
wt.jpg
wt2.jpg
wt3.jpg

This is a great time of year around here for birdwatchers. Yesterday the woods were loaded with warblers and all kinds of other bright colorful birds. They're all nesting, singing, and defending their territory so a bit easier to see. I saw tons of orioles, tanagers, warblers, and flycatchers-most of whom I could ID but some I've never seen before. I saw a Great Crested Flycatcher for the first time and heard the Eastern Wood Pewees finally this spring with their distinctive whistle-back from the tropics. Oh, and I got a video of an oriole building a nest waaay up in the top of a sycamore tree!
Yeah, spring is my favorite season!

You folks out west have a lot more variety in hummingbirds. I don't know that I've ever seen anything other than a Ruby-throated here. It's possible to get one just passing through occasionally, but it's rare.
I only see Black-chinned and Calliope in my area. Apparently there are Rufous and Anna's and a couple other rare ones but I haven't seen them yet.

I saw the first Rufous Hummingbird of the year! I hung out by the feeder to try to get pictures of any hummers that came, and there he was! I also saw a Cedar Waxwing by himself, and he let me get pretty close to him.
The Rufous:
IMG_1682.JPG
IMG_1683.JPG

The Cedar Waxwing: (Sorry the picture isn't that good.)
IMG_1695.JPG

I saw the first Rufous Hummingbird of the year! I hung out by the feeder to try to get pictures of any hummers that came, and there he was! I also saw a Cedar Waxwing by himself, and he let me get pretty close to him.
The Rufous:
View attachment 3103087View attachment 3103088
The Cedar Waxwing: (Sorry the picture isn't that good.)
View attachment 3103089
Great pictures! I've only seen Cedar Waxwings here in the winter when they mob the berry trees occasionally.

That's awesome! I've never seen a wild turkey display before!
He kept going back and forth in a line about 10 feet long, leaning his tail towards her and kinda shaking it. lol I'd like to spend at least a few hours in a blind pretty soon to see if I can get some really good pictures of a tom displaying. There's a big dust bathing area from them in front of one blind I can use. That would be a neat picture.

On Mother's Day, I saw my first Baltimore Oriole of the year, and 160 miles away, my sister spotted one, too. It's significant for us because orioles were one of our late mom's favorite birds. I keep a painting of one in my guest bedroom.

Yesterday, a gray catbird darted around while I was doing some early yardwork. Later, high winds tossed the eggs out of a robin nest in my gable of my garden shed. I was relieved when I checked one of the eggs, and there was only a yolk -- no baby yet. I'm sure she will try again, but I hope she chooses a better location.

And, I have been hearing -- and occasionally seeing -- the male ring-necked pheasant who calls almost every day from one of the surrounding farm fields. He is magnificent.

Back
Top Bottom