Birdwatching Chat Thread

Pics
This is an old photo, but what a surprise it was for us to see. A saw whet owl.
I love that kind of surprise!

I don’t consider myself a birdwatcher, but I bought a suet cake on a whim a few weeks ago and I have seen loads of birds! Most of the birds I couldn’t name by species, but there have been plenty of woodpeckers, cardinals, tufted titmouses, chicadees, and little squat birds that look like orioles without the orange.
Currently downloading an app by Cornell Bird Lab that should help me identify some of the birds!
You sound like a bird watcher to me! Those a beautiful birds, I wish I had some of those!
I love the Merlin Bird app!

Here in Eastern WA we have lots of Oregon juncos, house finches, house sparrows, chickadees, towhees, and my favorite, red-winged blackbirds. :love We also have a couple species of hawk, and the occasional bald eagle. Cedar waxwings are also quite common. At night, I can hear an owl, but I'm not sure what kind it is.
What a fun variety! I love RRBBs too!
The Merlin Bird app is nice because it can tell you what owls are common in your area and what sounds they make.

My little tiny point-and-shoot camera is no good at night, but my brother's gotten a photo of one, during the day. I love the dark! Sometimes after I tuck the chickens in, I'll wander around and look at things, just because they look so different at night.
I love night! It also scares me sometimes, but some summer nights I just want to stay out there forever! It's a whole new perspective!

The funny thing is, Oregon Dark-eyed Juncos are most common in my area. I see a lot of those. Slate Juncos are uncommon, but some others have seen them. I haven't yet! But I have seen Pink-Sided Juncos 3-4 times, and those are super rare here! It's a little ironic, but I don't mind the pink-sides!
Oregon Juncos are really common here, too, and that's the only kind of Junco I've ever seen. We also have a lot of doves, both Mourning doves and Collared doves. Lots of wild quail live in the vineyards near my house, with a few flocks of wild peacocks. The rarest thing I've ever seen is an albino peacock, completely white. He was amazing!!

Oregon Juncos are really common here, too, and that's the only kind of Junco I've ever seen. We also have a lot of doves, both Mourning doves and Collared doves. Lots of wild quail live in the vineyards near my house, with a few flocks of wild peacocks. The rarest thing I've ever seen is an albino peacock, completely white. He was amazing!!
The funny thing is, Oregon Dark-eyed Juncos are most common in my area. I see a lot of those. Slate Juncos are uncommon, but some others have seen them. I haven't yet! But I have seen Pink-Sided Juncos 3-4 times, and those are super rare here! It's a little ironic, but I don't mind the pink-sides!
We have Juncos here too, although I think they are called Dark-Eyed Juncos. I have heard Bobwhite quail around the lake 5 miles from our house, which is interesting since I didn’t realize we had quail in NC.

Over here there are mostly mourning doves and white winged doves, their eyes are so pretty! I've seen some peafowl around here, too; they poop all over a friend's porch... and peck their windows and 3:00am. Here's a white winged dove who was hanging out around lunch time.
DSC_1103.JPG

No way! Pictures?

We have Juncos here too, although I think they are called Dark-Eyed Juncos. I have heard Bobwhite quail around the lake 5 miles from our house, which is interesting since I didn’t realize we had quail in NC.
They are called Dark-Eyed Juncos, or just Juncos for short. Slate, Pink-sided, and Oregon are all subspecies. Like the different varieties of a Plymouth Rock or Silkie chicken.

Over here there are mostly mourning doves and white winged doves, their eyes are so pretty! I've seen some peafowl around here, too; they poop all over a friend's porch... and peck their windows and 3:00am. Here's a white winged dove who was hanging out around lunch time. View attachment 2968028
Pretty birds!
We have Mourning Doves and Eurasian-Collard Doves here, and the occasional Rock Pigeon. But I saw some White Wings in Washington and they were pretty!

Back
Top Bottom