Black Australorp or Jersey Giant?

DaveNay

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2016
Northern Illinois
Murray McMurray substituted my BA hens for JG hens but shipped the BA males I ordered.

Can anyone tell my if this chick is a BA or JG? I have heard that the black legs and feet are a telltale trait, but I can't recall for which breed.

From what I can find, their legs look the same.

I have a hen that I was having trouble deciding if she is a Black Australorp, a Jersey Giant or a Black Sex Link. I have 6 other BSL pullets that are 18 weeks old and I think I have decided that one hen is a BSL as well.

Not much help with you identification, good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

From what I can find, their legs look the same.

I have a hen that I was having trouble deciding if she is a Black Australorp, a Jersey Giant or a Black Sex Link. I have 6 other BSL pullets that are 18 weeks old and I think I have decided that one hen is a BSL as well.

Not much help with you identification, good luck.

Hmmmm....I found this post which says it's the underside of the foot that tells the difference.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/176156/black-australorp-or-black-jersey-giant#post_2115504

Quote:

black leg Barred Rocks usually mean female. that's the only black leg trait I know of although same might be for Dominiques as well.

I thought I had heard something like that, but honestly I thought it was leg color, which I could not confirm. There may be a difference in skin color as well, white vs yellow, but I am not sure if this is accurate or which one is which.

Back
Top Bottom