Black bear got one of my birds

I wonder if you could shoot up a store bought chicken with a bunch of hot tobasco sauce and leave it out. Would that discourage him? They need to come up with a bear cam with a pepper sprayer!

Quote:
Sorry to say but somewhere in TX does have bears. I used to live in Fort Worth for about 6 years, left in 2005. I went to the zoo a lot while I lived there and one of the new areas in the zoo that was built before I left was Texas Wild. In this exhibit area of the zoo were all animals native to TX and yes they did have some bears. For some reason and it has been 5 years since I was there, I think it was in the Piney Woods and swamps of east TX.

ETA:http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/local/there_s_bears_in_them_thar_woods_11-30-2008.html

I live in southeast texas down by the lousiana border and my husband saw a black bear that had been hit by a car a while back when he was comming home from work, so yes we have bears in our area,i have lived here most all my life and have never seen a bear in this area.

Definitely set up some hot wires. It will be back now that it has found a free food source. I'd also notify F&G and file a report. This situation has the makings of a big problem. If it keeps returning and starts destroying your run and/or coop to get at feed, you have a very expensive problem. It's best that you file a report now rather than later.

Quote:
Ditto!! Electric Fencing is your only hope. No structure you can build can withstand a bear.
F&G can either trap the bear or maybe help you find a bear hunter to dispatch it for you.
good luck

you will need a very hot wire, as i have heard that bears are very 'resilient' when it comes to receiving shocks.

yes, black bears can do alot of damage to the side of your house,and yes, can tear the roof right of a small car........

I watch that wild encounters show on animal planet and they tested all these products with bears...they can flip big trash dumpsters with ease, your coop wont be safe without hotwire..the guy on grizzly encounters uses hot wire to do all his bear introductions. A bear can rip chain link off pretty easy so I would definatley hot wire it ..Good luck

Quote:
BE very carefully, your daughter and you throwing thing to scare a black bear, they can run lot faster than any person, also climb like lighting.

If you decide to use a hot wire, use barb wire. The reason for the barb wire is that the barbs will go though the fur, where the round wire will not. And the fur will insult the shock. I have dealt with more bear than I care to count. A 12 x 12 bear proof coop would cost about $30,000. If you want to end the problem, call on 2 friends, Mr. Smith & Mr. Wesson (large cal.)
Then it is all about SSS. As stated DO NOT USE A NON LEATHAL WEAPON. A bear will turn in a heart beat. Most bear will run, but that one that turns can injury if not kill you.

ep.gif
ok ... now I'm really sad! after reading everyone's post ... Just lost a chicken to a Black Bear! And I really don't need it to come back! My husband said hot wire will not work ... on a Black Bear!

BLAH!!!!
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom